Old Country Brazos Mods....

How do you like it? I restoring a Brinkmann Cimarron and last piece to complete the project is some type of heat deflector. I've read the Horizon tuning plate are interchangeable.

I don't have that smoker, that pic is from the Horizon site

If you ever plan on selling it, I wouldn’t cut anything off or add anything on that can’t be bolted on.

I’d suggest using without doing all the mods and learning it. If you want to upgrade down the road, you will be able to sell it easier without stuff cut off or added to.

Just my 2 cents.

How do you like it? I restoring a Brinkmann Cimarron and last piece to complete the project is some type of heat deflector. I've read the Horizon tuning plate are interchangeable.

I have that deflector in my Bayou Classic which has similar dimensions. I still can't use the whole cooking surface, the area close to the fire box is still much hotter then the left. Not sure it is worth it. Turning plates may be a better option. Pretty much only cook on the left half which is enough for my family but not a crowd.

I have that deflector in my Bayou Classic which has similar dimensions. I still can't use the whole cooking surface, the area close to the fire box is still much hotter then the left. Not sure it is worth it. Turning plates may be a better option. Pretty much only cook on the left half which is enough for my family but not a crowd.

That's interesting. Thank you for the explanation.

Have you tried cooking with the FB door open ?

The Brazos has the opposite problem of most offsets, any increase in the air flow will heat up the stack end. Have to shut down the air flow to get any balance. But I really don't care that much about the balance, I never load up the cooker. I cook left of center.

I found another guy saying his was a 70 degree difference from side to the other. He used some tin foil to seal up any gaps and was able to reduce it within 5 degrees. That might be worth looking into to see if it helps your issue.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/v...start=20&sid=7dace1682f9e282184f86cc0dd6a984c

Have you tried cooking with the FB door open ?

The Brazos has the opposite problem of most offsets, any increase in the air flow will heat up the stack end. Have to shut down the air flow to get any balance. But I really don't care that much about the balance, I never load up the cooker. I cook left of center.

I pull out the ash tray a couple of inches with the vent fully open. It needs a descent amount of air to maintain a small hot fire.

I am in the same boat, really don't worry about it to much since I never load it up. I have the left of center dialed in and cook some killer brisket.

Sooo, a welder will build a collector and put a larger stack on your Brazos for 150 to 200 ? That's pretty reasonable. Do you provide matierial ?

Here's my FB , I want my fire as far away from the cook chamber as I can keep it.

zXf3Ml1.jpg

how many fire bricks do you have in the FB? i see lots these available on amazon but they come in 6 packs. do they suspend evenly or did you use some type of adhesive?

I have had as many as 12 firebrick, they lay in there nicely and can be taken out to clean ash.

I'm currently leaving a gap in the middle to get air under the fire basket. I may not continue that.

LIIJLkt.jpg

not leaving space under the bricks?

I'm a total rookie on offsets. I really like that basket and how you leave that gap between the firebricks (right under the basket center line). What is it not doing that would make you stop? Contemplating building a direct flow- I have a 20 x 48 compressor tank- fairly thick. I'm taking as many notes as I can before cutting steel. The bricks in the firebox are an option.

For sheer mfg ease, I will probably go with a square firebox- but make it a bit longer so I can scootch the fire away from the throat. May look "out of proportion" but I think it makes sense to give myself as much grate space in the CC as I can. (I wish the tank was 24" but beggars can't be choosers)

Thanks, sir.

I'm a total rookie on offsets. I really like that basket and how you leave that gap between the firebricks (right under the basket center line). What is it not doing that would make you stop?

Thanks, sir.

I'm wondering if its necessary. I would prefer to set directly on the fire brick, it would make clean out a little bit easier. I got the idea from Kosmos fire basket, its built with a gap underneath

Vid will start with Kosmo talking about his basket ( that he designed :-D)

https://youtu.be/awm0z0L0bMY?t=160

Nice video - appreciated. I don't have an offset (yet) but I think something like this would be of use for my vertical. I think I have enough scrap to cobble one together.

Old as I am, I've never shoveled snow. DFW this week changed that. Checked that box on my bucket list.

I'll wait for it to thaw moving forward. it was just a much fun as I feared.

I did sweep the snow off the stoop for our yorkie- she was not digging that 8" deep stuff in yard - at all.

Has anyone done a calculation on Exhaust Stack Volume for their standard (non-reverse flow) offset smoker? All the calculations I’ve seen on the forum is for RF. OR- is it the same calculation just mentioned in RF Thread? I have been playing around with stack extension on OC Wrangler along with charcoal/wood grate used as tuning plate. Right now I’m at 30” Stack and think it would be cool to check against the formula
Thanks!!

On the Oklahoma Joe Highland FB page those peeps often discuss the big three major mods. Stack extension, Fire Box insert to facilitate airflow & Fire positioning as well as baffles from firebox grates. If you don’t get your answer here, I’m guessing someone there or a similar price range offset has the answer you seek. Some of these engineers on Cooker specific sites come up with Grand ideas. Just guessing but bet Old Country has a similar page.
Bet someone here knows the information you seek. Good luck finding your answer

Last edited:
Has anyone done a calculation on Exhaust Stack Volume for their standard (non-reverse flow) offset smoker? All the calculations I’ve seen on the forum is for RF. OR- is it the same calculation just mentioned in RF Thread? I have been playing around with stack extension on OC Wrangler along with charcoal/wood grate used as tuning plate. Right now I’m at 30” Stack and think it would be cool to check against the formula
Thanks!!

See if either of these calculators help

Feldon's http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

BBQ Pit Calculator
https://bbqpitcalculator.com/

Back