Oakridge HDD Smoked Wings

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bill
G'Day Bruces! :becky:

As most of you know I recently got a care package from ChicagoKP containing my Oakridge TD win Spices and lots of other stuff.

I decided to redo the TD with some Oakrigde HDD.

Started with 2 Kg of Wings
P-20221107-150230.jpg

This time I just used the HDD. Nothing else as I wanted to see what the fuss is about. A little on my tongue had me tearing up for a bit.

Used gloves.
P-20221107-161705.jpg

Vac Packed for a week:
P-20221107-163653.jpg

Put them on the gasser smoker, par cooking them low temp with fruit wood.
P-20221120-124131.jpg

Par cooked and very smokey at 140F, pulled them off and added:
P-20221120-125007.jpg

A TBS of both HDD and Secret Weapon (Someone told me this was a good mix)

Tossed with some EVOO
P-20221120-125138.jpg

Then into the air fryer to crisp up.
P-20221120-141129.jpg

A prayer...
P-20221120-141952.jpg

Lets eat!
P-20221120-141813.jpg

How were they?

Yeah, pretty hot and really very nice, but not over the top. The Secret Weapon added some sweetness that I wasn't expecting and to be honest rounded the flavors out really nice.

Smokey Crispy goodness, everyone was raving about them. The rest of the plate was pretty good too for a Sunday afternoon.

If you haven't placed an order with Mike yet, get a move on... times running out! https://www.oakridgebbq.com/

Cheers!

Bill

The nice thing about HDD (and Crucible) is that if you don’t go overly heavy on the seasoning you can kind of dial in your preferred heat level. Cutting it with another mix like you did is probably a good idea.

Wings lookin good I'd eat a plate full!
HDD is one of my favorites. I like to brine with some Jah Love and then dust with HDD. Then smoke them hot and fast.

HDD has been my go to for years for wings, I have labeled it as 50/50, because it’s mixed with half Santa Maria seasoning. In my opinion, it really needs the salt component to bring the flavor out, give it a shot. I remember back in the day when I came up with this idea, I got flamed pretty good, and now just about everybody I know uses it 50/50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So the thing is I really like wings on the hotter side. Even on these wings I ate them with a bloody hot sauce and yet still tasted the sweetness. I'm going to try 75% HDD 25% Secret Weapon and some salt.

Back