Oak

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
I've always used hickory but have a line on some good oak. Choice between red or white. Looking for input.

I've been using red oak recently, it's mild and I like it.

Sent from my Android phone.

Pin Oak I's also known as Swamp Oak since it tends to grow in wt environments. I've never tried it for smoking.

I prefer white oak, haven't had much luck with red oak., All the red that I have gotten was to resinous for my taste.

cooked with white (the seasoned stuff underthe saws)this weekend after stacking it. I did like it a bit more than cooking with red

20130202_155907_zps5bda3892.jpg

Sent from Galaxy tab

The Red Oak and Pin Oak in Alabama don't smell so great when I split them. The White Oak smells sweet like Hickory and makes a great bed of coals.

The Red Oak and Pin Oak in Alabama don't smell so great when I split them. The White Oak smells sweet like Hickory and makes a great bed of coals.

If red oak is not good enough for whiskey barrels, then it is not good enough for smoking. That being said, I am now convinced that there are some regional reds that would be okay. We just don't have them here.

I have tried red oak it was fine but white oak is my go to wood, a lot milder smoke than the hickory. In my pit the oak burns a little hotter (10 degrees hotter) than the hickory.

Back