Noob needs help picking a grill

So sorry for the late reply. It didn't subscribe me to the thread automatically like I assumed it would so I had no idea you all were posting. :)

I just sent an email inquiring about that Kettle on Craigslist. I work in O'Fallon, MO so it's convenient. :)

Let us know what you find out, it's kinda like waiting on a kid to be born! (Ok, not really, but close :becky:)

Ill agree with the craigslist weber. I just checked my area and there is like 7 for sale all around 40-70 dollars.
Cant go wrong.

I will amend my prior recommendation - if you have the ability to pick one up used on Craigslist, I would definitely look into that route. They don't come up often around me, or at least they haven't come up often so far this spring. I have had my OTS for 4 or 5 years now and, unlike all of the gassers I've owned, it still looks nearly brand new. Highly recommend considering used.

Another vote for a kettle, definitely get the 22" size....I've had a few of the one touch silver kettles over the years, the one I currently have at home is 7 or 8 years old and going strong, for $99 you can't beat it. Where I have it located the open ash tray isn't a problem but if you are going to have it on a deck or anywhere the ash blowing will be a problem get the ash catcher. You can get a new 22" OTS, a chimney and some tools and stay under your budget. It's a great grill/BBQ.

The Weber kettle is the very best grill you can buy go to Walmart and fetch you one and buy some Kingsford charcoal and a 12 pack of Budweiser and a. Charcoal chimney good luck it will last you for years

I have always used Weber Kettles so I am partial to them. They can do it all. First grill I ever got was an 18" standard kettle. They can be had brand new for 70 bucks or something. Nothing wrong with it at all. Whatever you get, get a chimney too, totally worth it.

That said I love the features of my base performer. The table is worth it for me.

Good luck on the search!

I have one of the close out basic Weber Kettles I found new for $49.00 it is still in the box. I would try and find a way to swing a kettle with a rotisserie attachment. Cooking a basic whole chicken is a nice skill to acquire. Get busy and start burning some food. Good luck.

I have had my basic 22 inch Webber kettle for 25 years. Been bullet proof. Basically only had to replace the ash collector fins. I need to replace the wood handles. They are pretty beat up? Good luck with your choice, enjoy.

I would absolutely go with a Weber Kettle. 22" is a great size and you can generally find then on Craigslist for 25-50 bucks. Weber customer service is awesome and their spare parts are reasonable in price. On top of that, they cook great. You will want a Weber Chimney to get the coals going and a couple Welding mitts (about 10 bucks) from Home Depot.

Weber is definitely a great choice, i have 5! I'm sure its been mentioned, but check your local Craigslist for weber. I got my performer for $180, and a buddy of mine got his for $75! Good luck.

There is absolutely no need to buy one new. I've purchased several Craigslist Weber Performers that didn't look that great but cleaned up beautifully.

My vote goes to a Craigslist Performer for $150 or less.

The table is really handy, the charcoal bin can be used for storage (or charcoal), and if you can find one with gas assist you'll love it. It may not seem like much but it's really nice not having to look around for newspaper or a lighter and it starts up and gets the coals going in no time even when there's lots of wind.

If you can get a decent used Weber performer for $150 and take even the most minimal care of it, it's a ten year grill. That's $15 a year for a great machine which you won't regret for a single day.

Here are some before and after pictures of Performers I've rescued and restored (and I'm about the least handy guy I know)-

https://northeastbbq.com/2016/04/27/update-2010-webergrills-brick-red-performer-restoration-project/

https://northeastbbq.com/2016/04/02...nd-stainless-table-charcoal-bin-holder-cable/

This guy finally responded to my email. :) Says I can come look at it today. Again.....not sure it's going to fit in my car. Can they be taken apart from the cart ?

Awesome! that looks like a great score!
Yes, bring a some screwdrivers, and an adjustable wrench and you should be good to go. The table top will come off, then remove the kettle, and then the frame can easily be disassembled. You should be able to fit it into most average size cars.

Do whatever it takes to get her home Clint, roof of the car, hood, strapped to the trunk...:becky:

I hope it works out for ya!

Well I emailed that dude back right away......still haven't heard back. Guessing someone else already snatched it up :(

Back