Noob from the upstate SC

Thanks Thingfish! I like your name as well.

Anchor-bbq - thanks! I'm always looking for drums :-D. The one currently under construction is an old organic apple concentrate drum from California. It has just a thin coat of blue paint which is showing bare metal with a quick pads from a wire brush - too easy! So glad to avoid fighting the epoxy liner. The thing I'm having trouble with is expanded metal for the fire basket. All the metal recyclers are asking an arm plus leg and firstborn for the stuff and Lowe's wants all that in addition to conjugal rights - am currently searching for an illegal dump site with scrap I can use (does that make me cheap?). Burnout of apple drum hopefully this weekend. Fun stuff this UDS build.

Thanks okiej, bbq dane, and loco_engr - I'm looking forward to backing off the build threads and immersing myself in the cooking threads :-D!

Last edited:
Thanks Thingfish! I like your name as well.

Anchor-bbq - thanks! I'm always looking for drums :-D. The one currently under construction is an old organic apple concentrate drum from California. It has just a thin coat of blue paint which is showing bare metal with a quick pads from a wire brush - too easy! So glad to avoid fighting the epoxy liner. The thing I'm having trouble with is expanded metal for the fire basket. All the metal recyclers are asking an arm plus leg and firstborn for the stuff and Lowe's wants all that in addition to conjugal rights - am currently searching for an illegal dump site with scrap I can use (does that make me cheap?). Burnout of apple drum hopefully this weekend. Fun stuff this UDS build.

Thanks okiej, bbq dane, and loco_engr - I'm looking forward to backing off the build threads and immersing myself in the cooking threads :-D!

I'll get that contact for you. Hopefully you can get the metal issue worked out. That was my hardest item to figure out. I'll ask my father in law if he knows of a good source in the area.

Welcome aboard the BBQ Brethren rumproastilskin, glad to have you here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Thanks bluetang, cowgirl, and big george's. So much great info here from so many fantastic people!

Iammadman, I look forward to diving into q-talk. In fact, I was recently reunited with my Weber Genesis Gold (y2k edition). It's propane but I'm working on a nat gas conversion and possible mods as well as how to best use it - seems appropriate for the q-talk forum :-D

Thanks Diesel Dave - fyi I once earned the nickname Dr. Diesel. It didn't take long after that to learn the difference between a gas vs diesel welder =-O

Last edited:
Back