New to the BBQ Brethren

Beancooker

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Noah
Good morning! Acceptance to your forums is quite a good start to 2021.

My screen name comes from many years ago, I was a coffee roaster. It’s the name I have used on the www since the first forum I ever joined.

So a little about me, I’m an average guy. I’m married to my best friend and partner in crime. She loves BBQ and prefers most things cooked on a smoker or grill.
I was born and raised in the town we currently live in. When I was in my early 20’s I moved to Dallas and had my first taste of real BBQ and a proper brisket. I was hooked. A few years later I moved to Olympia Washington and spent nearly 20 years there. That’s where I met my wife, 17 years ago. I managed a large Wholesale Distribution Center for many years. We spend many years up there enduring the obscene amounts of rain and trash weather. In 2017 we decided to move to where we went on vacation (my hometown), put in three month notices at our jobs, sold our house and started over in the Verde Valley. It’s sunny nearly everyday, so it’s BBQ weather nearly everyday. I cook more in the backyard than I do in the kitchen.
I have worked as a sous chef in a pretty amazing restaurant years ago, before I met my wife. My mentor, the owner/head chef was a genius. He had a masters in organic chemistry and had studied food science as well. Many things I learned from him have been invaluable in my culinary adventures.
I now work as the GM of a wholesale company that specializes in spices, herbs, dried fruits, nuts, and grains. It’s kind of a dream job. I do what I’m good at. The owners love me, and I have a great team of coworkers. It’s just a great place.
I have been cooking over wood, charcoal, or pellets for more than 25 years. In my circle of friends I’m pretty great. Compared to what I have seen here, I’m quite the amateur. I can’t wait to learn from you all.

I have been on and off other forums for many years. Tired of flaming, politics, etc. happy to have found a family friendly environment and excited to contribute.

When I’m not working, or working on the honey do list, I really like to go off roading. My wife is pretty good behind the camera and prefers to walk the technical parts of the trails, so it’s kind of a win win.

Current smoker is a Recteq 590. I cooked some steaks and have smoked a brisket on it. It’s quite different than my really old Traeger as it holds a consistent temp, where the Traeger had a huge temp swing. So the first brisket I planned to cook like I would on the Traeger at 45 min per pound. The Recteq held 225° accurately and many hours in, I had to raise the temp. Ended up finishing it off at 325°. It wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t great either.

Here are a few pics of us, the grill and the brisket.

Welocme, Noah! You've come to the right place.

Sounds like you've had quite the adventure and found the "right place" for you two.

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Mostly a friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Fair warning, this place is hazardous to your waistline and wallet.

Enjoy your time in one of the more gorgeous parts of the country.

Welcome Noah. You have quite the resume. Looks like the move has worked out great for you. Hope you enjoy your stay here, it's really a great place

Back