THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just experiment with it. You will find the right flame size and wood chip combination eventually. The cast iron chip tray/skillet I've seen in several propane smokers (online not in person)

Re a couple of previous posts: A water pan is needed and should be monitored. Besides keeping the meat moist, it acts as a heat sink to help with temperature fluctuations.

I have used a cast iron skillet and placed chunks of wood in it (directly over the flame), it works, but I would work with the system that came with the smoker first.

Based on my experience with an electric smoker...

Since anything new is not an option, go with the water pan mentioned and also close the bottom of any fire box. Line the bottom of the box where your wood chunks are so that the wood cannot come into contact with the flame. Drill a hole with a step bit and use magnets to regulate the heat as suggested previous. Last and because I am a previous woodworker, ditch the thinking that you are going to use the scraps you have. the wood you have is too dry to really get the desired effect. You want wet fresh wood, the complete opposite of what anyone but a turner wants. In my smoker I use a couple chunks about a half fist sized with the least amount of bark I can get. As you are not actually using a fire to cook like you would in a stick burner or with charcoal, you will see plenty of white smoke as the wood smolders. Go easy on the wood as you can easily get a bitter flavor.

I sincerely appreciate the responses here, you've all given me a wealth of advice. I have a few ideas of things to try now.

I've ordered a couple of Mo's Smoking Pouches and an Amaz-N-Tube thingie to try. I'm hopeful that using pellets or small chips in those things will keep them from bursting into flames. Both systems get excellent reviews.

Meanwhile, I need to build a cart for the 7-in-1, that's on my agenda for this weekend. One way or another it's going to become a valuable tool.

I missed the point. There is nothing wrong with "fire" when smoking your food and if I did not have fire in my stick burner then I would worry. Put the wood in and let it burn, control the temp with the amount of propane your let our and keep the vents wide open to get a good clean burning fire. Fire is good!

My first smoker was a propane water smoker... Never got the hang of it and started a 15ft forest fire while camping, the ranger was not amused!!!

run it like a hybrid. get a mini minion going in the pan with a small amount of charcoal lighting off a few chunks, then keep the propane just high enough to make up for the difference in temperature to where you want it to be. you could also just put a bunch of dry chunks in a tinfoil pouch with some pin holes in the top and bottom and lay that in the pan and tune the fire below it until you get the temperature you need. the chunks should be giving off some flavor by then. sometimes i keep just one chunk on the grill of my gasser and as i cook it turns black and smokes and i tell you it gives off some good flavor.

I sincerely appreciate the responses here, you've all given me a wealth of advice. I have a few ideas of things to try now.

I've ordered a couple of Mo's Smoking Pouches and an Amaz-N-Tube thingie to try. I'm hopeful that using pellets or small chips in those things will keep them from bursting into flames. Both systems get excellent reviews.

Meanwhile, I need to build a cart for the 7-in-1, that's on my agenda for this weekend. One way or another it's going to become a valuable tool.

Try the 7-1 with charcoal.

I know that you don't want to put a lot of money into a smoker until you decide it is a hobby worth pursuing (totally understandable). One thought is to look on Craig's List for some good deals. I started smoking with my Weber using offset approach. Not a ton of room to work with but it is defiantly feasible. Seen Weber grills go for 30$ that just need a little TLC.

Couple of thoughts for you to consider:

1. I've been using an LP smoker for past couple of years. Important piece is that the wood sits in a metal pan over top of the burner. I've found that if I use bigger chunks (vs. the chips), I get better and longer lasting smoke. Controlling (however you can) the amount of airflow into the chamber could help with the flaming bit... mine flares up when I open the door, but when I close it back up, all is well again.

2. I agree with the water pan (which lives just above the wood chunk pan in the vertical smoker) bit, and have had good experiences.

3. I picked up an A-Maze-N Tube Smoker for use on/in LP grills when I'm traveling and it's not my own equipment. It works well, but I've not found a great way to smoke for shorter cooks (just a couple of fatties only takes close to 90 minutes... so just like 1/3 of my 12" tube is filled with pellets)... I'm getting there - still very much experimenting.

Try not to get too frustrated. I'd suggest smoking a couple of fatties and/or a boston butt.. something that is very forgiving with temps and smoke. Keep workin' it, man.

Back