THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'll second what Smitty said.

If you are within 3-4 hours of STL BBQ Store I'd pack up and go there.

I was looking at a Battle Box but bought a Pint from them.

Used the 4" feet that come with it and built a cedar base with casters for it. Raised it up about 15" higher and I love it. Can post/send pics if interested.

This Pint has the slide-out water pan which I would recommend. I seldom use the water. It will run all day without attention once you figure it out. If I had it to do over again I might back down to the BB but I would probably pay for the stainless round bar grate option, and I would buy one extra. Most cooks I only use 1 or 2 grates but there a times a 4th one would be handy.

If you want a charcoal smoker an insulated cabinet is a great way to go.

I've got a couple of pellet grills and I love 'em. For me, the meat should take center stage, not the smoke. So, I guess it depends on your preference. Folks who feel they need more smoke will suppliment with an a-mazin tube, or a smoke daddy; I've never felt the need for either. I generally run the first two hours at 170 to put down some smoke, then raise the smoker to my normal (~225) smoking/cooking temp.

I read up somewhere in the comments that you'll need to keep the pellets full while cooking...yeah, just like you need to load the stickburner, keep the propane full or keep the electric one plugged in (and loaded with wood). Fact is, at smoking temps, pellet smokers will run 10-12 hours on a single load of pellets, so I wouldn't let that influence your decision too much.

I love my pellet smokers because they require very little attention during the cook. Yes, I know it's all about sitting around the smoker & drinking beer/whiskey/etc., but I don't always have the luxury of that time. With a pellet pooper I can get quality Q more often, because I can cook AND attend to the things in life that demand my attention.

I'd suggest the Fast Eddy PG500/1000, the Yoder, Green Mountain Grills (my weapon of choice), and Smoking Brothers. Can't say I'd suggest the rec tec. Once you add all the bells and whistles to the 680, you might as well have bought the PG500.

IMHO, nothing is easier than a gravity feed smoker. Yes, they can be expensive, but it can also be a once in a lifetime investment. There are a lot of really great GFs on the market. The top names - Stumps, Deep South, Assassin, etc all put out quality smokers & have excellent customer service. I chose Assassin because they include a lot of features as standard equipment that other builders charge extra for as options. Also, Jeff Conley is will do whatever it take to make & keep you a happy customer.

Assassin has a size to fit your unique needs. I have an Assassin 17 which is perfect for me cooking for my family & a few family/church functions up to about 125 people.

www.assassin-smokers.com

The questions I would ask (I don't think they have been yet) are:

What do you have today?

What do you like and not like about it?

What do you consider easy? (this may have been asked)

What can it not do that you want done to the tune of $2K?

Does it have the capacity you want? Two briskets or butts are a lot of meat for a family. You will either have to feed a lot of people or freeze.

I'm not nearly as experienced as many of not most here, but personally I enjoy the process of fiddling with the fire, keeping up with the temperature. The zen of cigars and adult beverages on the deck. Not sure I would ever want a set and forget but everyone likes different things.

I get the hankering for a new toy regularly too, but for me, the PK does everything I ask it to pretty well, and I think I still have lots more to learn with it. My point being that it would not be difficult to drop the money and not be any farther along than you are today. Think and plan carefully and avoid impulse buying.

As excruciating as the decision is here, I guarantee you it is a lot less painful than the search for a piano.

I have a rec tec and a Battle box both. the battle box is amazing and great flavor. The rec tec does a great job also but the smoke flavor is just a little less imho... Both are great choices for the price range.

If you have the opportunity to take a bbq class that goes over the various types of smokers. I took Harry Soo's class and we got to use a few types including pellet grills and charcoal smokers. It was a good way of taking a test drive, so to speak on a few cookers.

I know you want to cry only once, so try out a couple different cookers before you drop a couple grand on something you may not like so much after a few weeks. Once you have a general idea on what kind of cooker you want, this rowdy bunch can steer you in the right direction.

If no classes around you that are affordable and use various cookers, then find some local brethren or a competition to see the different machines in action. All of them can turn out good cue in the right hands. Your cooker will be an important tool, but you still need to do the cooking. Find one that suits your personality and cooking style, try them out or see what is the best fit.

Felt good to post that!!! I have been out of the bbq game for a while...machete accident resulting in a severed left achilles tendon...have been walking for about a week now and can finally give a lil love to the smokers. :-D

My first suggestion was a WSM before I saw your 2k price range. I've had both the Humphrey's Pint and multiple (5 in total) wsms. They are both solid cookers and work wonderfully. I would suggest looking at both to determine which one you would like.

Humphrey's Pint (or Battle Box)
Pros

Solid workmanship
Insulated cabinet style (front load instead of top load like a WSM)
Temps recover quickly after opening door
20 degree or less temp gradient from top to bottom of cooking chamber
Cons
Portability (Pint is 350 lbs)

WSM (22 or 18 )
Pros

Cheap ($399 or $299 depending on size)
Portable (22 Wsm is 68 lbs and splits into 3 main parts)
Vertical water smoker (pro or con depending on your taste)
Even temps for a cheap cooker (competition cooks use them)
Cons
Not insulated (still efficient but not as efficient as insulated)
Temps can go higher when opening the lid
Takes longer to recover temp than an insulated cooker
Doesn't look as cool as a powder coated Humphrey's :p

As you can see both have their advantages and disadvantages. I love both the WSMs and Pint but they had their own pluses and minuses.

Back