New smoker conundrum

stan5677

Full Fledged Farker
Fell in love with the shirley 24x36 and was on my purchase list due to it's foot print but in all my excitement it dawned on my i don't have anywhere to store the wood to cook with (being in a townhouse sucks) so I'm reconsidering my smoker purchase and am now eyeing an insulated cabinet unless one of you other smart brethren out there have any ideas on storing wood outside with very limited space

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

You can buy bags of wood (mini-splits) from places like Academy Sports, or even Walmart. While this is a more expensive route to go it does offer you what you're looking for in terms of not taking up any space. One of those bags (roughly 30Lbs) goes a surprisingly long way, and I've had good experiences with them.

Personally I'd go with a cabinet smoker to make your life easier. I have a couple different offset smokers, so I've got 2 cords of wood on hand most of the time. I have to cut it all down, then split it all, and that requires extra space in my yard. I've got a splitting log and a Kindling Cracker XL, along with a Fiskars splitting axe, to get the wood down to the right size. I also use a 12" compound miter saw to cut the large splits down from 24" to 12" to make them more manageable. So what I'm going at here is that an offset can be a "way of life" and really does require more space for wood and wood processing. A cabinet smoker, if ran properly, can come VERY CLOSE to the flavor of an offset, and it's much simpler to run.

Something to consider might be a smoker by Ironside Smokers. They make "hybrid" insulated cabinet smokers that can be run with a wood fire, or on charcoal. So you can get full on offset flavor by running it as a stickburner, or you can use charcoal and wood chunks and run it as an insulated cabinet smoker. Since it's insulated one of those bags of wood would go a long ways. The price is higher than the Shirley, but it might fit your needs better.

http://www.ironsidesmokers.com/home-.html

You might check out a M1. It can be used with wood or charcoal and is both a great smoker and grill and it doesn't take up much room. I live out in the country but don't cook with wood enough to buy a bunch so I just buy the bags from Academy for when I do want to use wood and they don't take up much room.

Back