New member of the PBC club

Did you monitor temperature or just let it run?

Just let it do its thing.... I just check the IT when the videos suggest and go either pull it or leave it longer.
The first cook was 1 whole chicken and 2 full racks
The second was 1 whole chicken and 1 rack
3rd was 2 full chickens
4th was boston butt.

I cant wait for the weather in NY to get better and have a big BBQ and put this thing to use!

Just let it do its thing.... I just check the IT when the videos suggest and go either pull it or leave it longer.
The first cook was 1 whole chicken and 2 full racks
The second was 1 whole chicken and 1 rack
3rd was 2 full chickens
4th was boston butt.

I cant wait for the weather in NY to get better and have a big BBQ and put this thing to use!

I plan to try that on the first couple cooks (just let it run) and see what happens. I've read that the temperature can range from about 260 up to 350 though. I'd kinda like it under 300 if I could get it there. I'm thinking the first real cook will be some ribs. Maybe next week.

Just don't try to over-think it and try tweaking it all the time. It does what it does ... go with the flow!

I'm gonna try......but I may be sitting on my hands in a corner with beads of sweat dripping off my forehead. .....:becky:

Mine will not hold above 250 no matter how I light it, After 1 1/2 to 2 hours the temp is starting to fall below 250. I am at sea level and I have the vent between 1/2 and 1/4 open. My cooking times have been at least 1 hour longer than the videos on the PBC site. I cooked a Tritip following the video instructions and needed an extra hour to get to 130 IT.

Mine will not hold above 250 no matter how I light it, After 1 1/2 to 2 hours the temp is starting to fall below 250. I am at sea level and I have the vent between 1/2 and 1/4 open. My cooking times have been at least 1 hour longer than the videos on the PBC site. I cooked a Tritip following the video instructions and needed an extra hour to get to 130 IT.

That's interesting. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if mine held at 250 though for me the perfect temp would be 275ish.
Where are you measuring the Temps at? Cooking grate, at the hanging rack? Just curious. Also what thermometer are you using? Thanks!

That's interesting. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if mine held at 250 though for me the perfect temp would be 275ish.
Where are you measuring the Temps at? Cooking grate, at the hanging rack? Just curious. Also what thermometer are you using? Thanks!

I use a maverick ET-732 either at grate level or at the hanging rod. I have started out at temps as high as 400 degrees settled in with thin blue smoke but within an hour they are falling significantly and they continue to fall to below 250 after 1.5 to 2 hours. I put a paperclip to come back to 275 if I am short of time. Mostly I just start earlier.

There are so few possible variations that I'm sure you'll be able to dial it in. The fit of the lid and the air intake are what I would focus on. The lid needs to be tight for the airflow to work as designed. Then start at 1/4 open on the air intake. This is hard to judge, but be sure to adjust by small amounts each try. You've read all about this, I'm sure, but it sometimes is easy to lose sight of how simple the design is and therefore try more and more extreme adjustments.

try using a paperclip to vent the lid just a small amount. unfold the clip & just bend it over the lip before you put the lid on. it seems like so little, but I jumped up 20 degrees doing this

try using a paperclip to vent the lid just a small amount. unfold the clip & just bend it over the lip before you put the lid on. it seems like so little, but I jumped up 20 degrees doing this

That's a great idea! I've heard of people cracking the lid but that sounds like a good technique if needed.

Back