New member living in Guam

Norris

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hey guys, So I stumbled upon you fine gentlemen and ladies from googling mods to do to my grill. I own a weber performer and love the ease of use, but have been having issues getting larger cuts to fit and not get burned on the side towards the fire. I have found quite a few helpful ideas on here and have found a product I am looking at purchasing once I move back to the states in a couple of months.

So that was the back story of how I found you all, now the story of me:

I grew up in Alabama and always loved the concept and taste of good ole charcoal grilled food. My grandfather and father used to spend hours on the back porch (mostly with webers) grilling and having some brews. I watched them q some meat that was somehow always juicy and tender. This passion of grilling carried over in to my adult life.

When I was 20 I joined the navy and moved to japan. I spent 4 years living the city life and living on the USS Kittyhawk. I met myself a nice Japanese girl who spoke perfect English and before I moved to San Diego I got engaged. When I moved to SD I got myself a cheap electric barrel smoker/grill for less than a hundred bucks and so ensued my hobby. The little thing did alright for a while, but it left me craving for more.

I used the ole cheapy for the whole time I was in San Diego and when I transferred to Guam I bought myself a Chargriller with a side smoker. That piece of equipment had more problems than I could deal with, so after about a year I upgraded to my performer pro. I fell in love with it right away. It had excellent airflow control and I haven't over-charred a piece of meat since. My wife used to eat mostly veggies, but now she begs me to cook on the weekends. Friends say I should open a restaurant when I retire; I personally just want to cook for family and friends, so owning a store is probably out of the question.

I've been stationed overseas for most of my career (8 of 12 years) and I look forward to sunny florida and retirement in about 8 years. I hope this is a good enough intro/bio about me and I look forward to seeing what y'all have to say.

Welcome, Norris!

Good to have another brother out here in the Pacific! Hope that performer won't rust like our grills and smokers on Okinawa.

Looking forward to seeing your adventures.

Unfortunately I do have issues with that, but a steel brush and some rustoleum will fix it if it gets too bad. I only really have a little problem around the handle for now. I have come to terms with humid environments and grills. A cost of living in a beautiful place.

Welcome to the forum Norris!
One of the best cooks I've had the pleasure of getting to know, is Rueben, located in Guam..
Here is a link to his blog.. http://bbqguam.blogspot.com/
Not sure if you two live close to each other but just thought I'd throw that out there.
Glad to have you on the forum!

I love the island BBQ here. His blog definitely looks tasty. Guam is a pretty small island, so I'm sure he's not too far. :p

Welcome to the forum from down here in Victoria.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome to the madness Norris!!!! Enjoy your stay :thumb:

And thank you for your service to our country Sir

Welocme to the asylum!

Take a look around and if you have questions please feel free to contact the moderator team or our senior members. Their names are color coded so you can recognized them.

Also, each section of the forum has a description that you can use to figure out where to post.

Finally, please review our rules! They are pretty straight forward, but looking at them up front may help to eliminate problems later :-D

Oh! Don't forget to add your name to the Brethren Map, located at the top of this Cattle Call forum.

Most important, have fun and join in our conversations and share and learn!

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Az, very much appreciate your service.

Welcome aboard Norris, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Back