New Member "Howdy"

W Squared

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hey guys. I'm a new member. But have been watching the posts for quite some time. I'm a Texan who does about 5-8 cookoffs per year. My wife and I are looking into getting into catering/vending. So, my focus area is in the cooking for the masses.

My hope is to learn quite a bit about how you plan and portion for both vending and catering events. We don't have a cook trailer yet, but have registered with an EIN so that we can begin purchasing under the business name. I still think we are about a year from that point, but want to do as much as possible without the trailer until that point. We typically use an Assassin 28 gravity fed smoker. Yes...sometimes I think it's cheating too. But it puts out a good product with very consistent temps that I can count on without much poking and prodding. We flavor with post oak and/or mesquite. I was traditionally low and slow, but did my first trial cook with hot and fast...and it went great. I put in extra smoke to make sure that I got quicker penetration and it worked as good as low and slow. So, I think this tactic may be critical to volume potentially needed for vending and catering.

I look forward to talking with you and am proud to be among cooks with the same passion.

Welocme to the asylum!

Take a look around and if you have questions please feel free to contact the moderator team or our senior members. Their names are color coded so you can recognized them.

Also, each section of the forum has a description that you can use to figure out where to post.

Finally, please review our rules! They are pretty straight forward, but looking at them up front may help to eliminate problems later :-D

Oh! Don't forget to add your name to the Brethren Map, located at the top of this Cattle Call forum.

Most important, have fun and join in our conversations and share and learn!

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Az.

Welcome to the forum from down here in Victoria.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome aboard, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Back