THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
Those of you who faithfully made a discada cooker a few years back may remember the style of burner that was recommended for them. They were made overseas by a company whose American distributor labeled them Alpha. Here is an example:

7697184_orig.jpg

I bought one of those about 11 years ago and bolted it to a stand made from an old truck brake drum. It has sat outside my kitchen door mostly out of the rain since. I have had to take it apart many times because it stops working. Every single time it was due to an insect making some kind of nest. I found it easy to blow them out. The pretty wrinkle paint is now gone, replaced by hi-temp paint. I have really tried to do the maintenance on it.

This year, it had been down for a few months. I took it apart and got into it. I blew out two bug plugs and then hooked it back up again. It lit, with blue flames, but the flames on the outer ring were 1/8" tall or less where normally they would be closer to 3/8". And the heat was much lower.

I can't find anything wrong with it. The hose and regulator test fine, and I have gone much farther than ever before in trying to remove any obstructions. I wound up swapping in a more expensive Alpha burner with a lot more heat. Now I'm supposed to scrap this old one, but dang it, it still seems like a perfectly good appliance to me except something's wrong.

This post isn't about cooking Q, more about building/maintaining them. Lots of you guys used to be very knowledgeable and helped me immensely on the builds I did a decade or so ago.

If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

seattlepitboss

I suspect you've got a bit of spider web still stuck somewhere. That's what I always find (sometimes after the second or third look) when I've got a gas burner that doesn't fire up right.

Back