New guy here................

woody1949

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Larry
I just found this site a few days ago and it looks like a place I could enjoy. I live in northeast Oklahoma and always have. Nice folks here.........lots of BBQ joints............some good......some better.....

I guess my preference is ribs and brisket, though a pile of pulled pork butt or chicken will get me excited too. I am always suspicious when my que is served with sauce poured over it. I like for the meat to speak for itself...........I think it attests to the skill of the pitmaster.

I have been cooking for the last 30 years........mostly on pits that I built myself. Mostly for family and friends, though I used to do a yearly cook for vendors, employees and customers where I worked. That usually involved cooking a couple hundred pounds of ribs, pork butt, briskets, sausage, chicken and bologna with a lot of help from volunteers.

I currently have two Blackstone griddles (those things are awesome), a JennAire gas grill ( that I don't use very often), an outdoor kitchen with a 4' diameter wood fired oven, a charcoal grill and a trailer mounted pit that I built. The pit is built using a 42" diameter by 5' tank with large firebox on one end, a no smoke oven (sits on top of the firebox and will hold six of the large stainless steel restaurant style pans), and it is dampered to allow me to direct the heat and smoke across the grate or to dump excess heat out the stack. The smoker uses a 54 Chevy pickup front axle and springs. When I set it down on the axle, it straightened out the springs,....so I added a set of coil springs from a 65 Mustang to help support the weight....LOL. It worked. I will post pics if I can figure out how.

I am in the process of building a new smoker to sit on the deck next to the outdoor kitchen. It has a large firebox in the center and a horizontal tank on either side which can be utilized and hopefully maintained at different temperature (if needed) by the use of dampers on inlet and outlet of each tank. Both tanks are being set up up with a full length baffle under the grate for reverse flow operation. Fingers crossed hoping it works as planned,,,,,,LOL

I like to use pecan for cooking, though I use some hickory and oak if it is well seasoned.

Sounds like a lot of stuff to cook with......some might even refer to it as "hoarding"........I prefer to think of it as being an "avid collector
of essential tools".............LOL

Anyway.......enough about me...........lets talk about you...........What do you think about my new smoker build.........LOL

Nice meeting you folks.............

Larry (oldman)

Nice meeting you, Larry. Great setup there. You are well equipped.

Welcome! It's a nice place. If someone is new to Q they can learn a whole lot, if not they can share their experience and get a lot of new ideas from a lot of great folks.

Welcome Larry, from Cushing Oklahoma. Quite the collection you have there. The new smoker build sounds doable and interesting. You must feed a lot of folks. Lots of folks here build pits, so you may get some great input. Anyway welcome aboard

Welcome, post some pics of those pits.

I lived in Tulsa from 85 to 2003 and still have family there. Definitely a great place to live.

Welcome Larry, glad you could make it. Your new smoker sounds very cool and I am hoping it works as planned for you. Looking forward to pics as you go. You can use the attach icon (paperclip) and attach files from your computer or whatever. There are other ways but, that's the way I do it.

Welcome! Smokers to me are like sports cars to other people. I love to check them out!

Larry, Welcome to the Brethren!! Sounds like quite an arsenal there, but nothing wrong with having what you want for cooks. Look forward to some pics!

I am still trying............

Welcome Larry, glad you could make it. Your new smoker sounds very cool and I am hoping it works as planned for you. Looking forward to pics as you go. You can use the attach icon (paperclip) and attach files from your computer or whatever. There are other ways but, that's the way I do it.

Yeah...........right now I am trying to get pics from my iphone to my PC, which is ancient, and operating on Windows 7...........

This computer stuff is frustrating to us old guys who went to college on a slide rule instead of a calculator..........LOL

Nice to see you here on the best BBQ site one the 'nets!

Holy Smokes, Larry. You've got everything, friend!

We need some pictures of those jewels our new friend.

Back