THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterling1776

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Patrick
I am going to be working with a welder (person, not tool) to build a 250 gallon propane tank smoker very similar to what Aaron Franklin does on his PBS show BBQ with Franklin, Episode 4: The Pits. I will also be having a trailer built for the smoker. I did have a few questions regarding some specifics, as the video is not super technical. (Note: I have used Feldon's calculator, but obviously Franklin's smokers do not follow that math to say the least. I am trying to get a Franklin style smoker, not a mathematically "correct" smoker.)

For the smokestack, I can't decide between a 6" or 8" pipe. I figure because the cook chamber is a 250 gallon propane tank, the 6" is probably the way to go, about 6 feet tall. I want a good draft, but not too strong. I have also thought about using an 8" pipe about 5 feet tall. Thoughts?

For the trailer, I'm thinking a 3500 lb axle on a 4 foot wide trailer should be sufficient. On a lot of these smaller trailer smokers, it seems like the firebox is fairly close to the ground. Does anyone have experience getting one of these over a curb or something like that?

It will have 2 doors, and I want a single cooking grate all the way across, right at the lateral center line (15", assuming the tank is 30" diameter), then 2 removable grates about 8" above the main grate, leaving about 5" vertically for the second shelf. For the main grate, I know that Franklin has his straight across and it doesn't look removable. They hose it off and everything goes down the grease drain. Am I mistaken on the removable grate part, especially with the double doors?

I'd like the grease drain to be towards the firebox, as I figure the trailer hitch will generally be the higher side.

Does anyone happen to have a picture of their baffle on this style of smoker?

Those are all of the questions I can think of for now, I'm sure there will be more. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

Where will the smoke exit? As I recall, I think Franklin has his exhaust at or slightly below the lower grate. My DIY offset did this and I get good flow
Good luck

Can't you adjust the trailer tongue to raise or lower the nose, to drain or change airflow?

I wouldn't want grease pooling at the firebox side if the drain blocked, I would think there is a good reason for having the drain on the opposite side?

The smokestack will be at grate level on the center line.

For the drain, yes you can adjust the tongue, I believe Franklin's smokers have the drain on the firebox side so I was going with that. Also, I could be totally wrong, but if it is very cold outside it might prevent the grease from hardening since it is closer to a heat source.

As for the (I Know), I'm just the next in a long line of Franklin fanboys so I figured some people were sick of hearing about it by now :icon_smile_tongue:

Back