Need to upgrade a stickburner

Jobiz

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Joe

This cheap grill has proved to be more trouble than it's worth. You can probably see how the smoke is leaking out everywhere and the metal is tin-thin.
I've used it as a hamburger grill but maintaining any consistent temp has proved difficult if not impossible. So it's not very useful as a smoker.

I know it's one of those impossible questions to answer but I'd appreciate any suggestions from the group on what I should replace it with.
I'm looking to spend $1100-$1200 at the most. I've shopped the OK JOE smokers online and they seem to have much better workmanship (i.e. thicker metal etc).

Is there anything else I should be considering?
Thanks in advance,....JOE KEE

Horizon is the best bet for an affordable offset that has 1/4” steel and drafts well.

The new OKJ ones will frustrate you the same as your current one. Maybe less so, but still frustrating. They are a bit thicker, but not thick enough to matter. They draft poorly.

I learned cooking on a Stickburner on a new OKJ Highland. You can cook good barbecue on it but it’s a lot more work and frustration than cooking on a good one.

You're less than an hour drive from Johnson Smokers in Ennis, Texas. Your budget might be a bit tight as I think his most modestly priced smoker comes in at about $1600. Definitely worth a trip though as he (Chad Johnson) makes some amazing smokers.

Just my 2 cents here but it's better to spend a bit more and get a "legacy quality" smoker than to buy something which will fall apart 2 years from now.

www.johnsonsmokers.com

Well, your right SmoothBoarBBQ.
It's always better to go for quality products. I honestly don't know what I was thinking when I picked that one up.
I'll definitely give Johnson a look.

We used to always go to the Ennis Drive-In so I know the way..
Thanks

Others may chime in with something I’m missing, but in that price range your best bet would be to scour Facebook/craigslist/etc for a good used smoker.

Personally, I would check out Old Country before I went with Oklahoma Joe. You can find them at Academy or I’ve seen them at Buc-ee’s. The Brazos is in your price range and is all 1/4” steel. I’ve had the Pecos model for maybe 2 years now and it has served me well thus far. The Pecos is definitely not a super nice setup like some others on here have, but it’s a major step up from your char griller and a step or two above the Oklahoma Joe lineup in my opinion. Brazos should work even better and last a lifetime with reasonable care.

Other options would be to check out Lyfe Tyme or All Seasons Feeders. I’ve seen both of these at HEB before and they looked like decent options. Neve cooked on them or seen much in the way of reviews though.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think the $1000 budget puts you in a weird black hole in the market between entry level and premium. I think there is a sweet spot around the Oklahoma Joe and Old Country Pecos in terms of a budget priced, but still serviceable cooker that you won’t immediately want to scrap. Otherwise the options are very few until you start approaching $1700-2000+ for a very nice backyard setup. $1000 will get you an Old Country Brazos that I am sure will cook well and is made of all 1/4” steel, but is likely a little rough around the edges in terms of craftsmanship. In my opinion, it’s too expensive for a budget option, but not nice enough to compete with the likes of Lone Star Grillz, Shirley, etc.

I’m in a similar boat in that I opted to buy the Pecos to try out stickburning, and am saving up to just leapfrog the Brazos price point and jump straight to something like the LSG 20x42 or Shirley 24x36 for a really nice setup. My thinking being that if I’m going to spend enough for it to last a lifetime, I want to get something that I am going to really enjoy for a lifetime.

Old Country Brazos, 1/4" steel, exhaust at grate level, $1,000.

Or if you want a counter weight on the door, the Brazos DXL , $1,200

Hard to beat this smoker in that price range.

Horizon is the best bet for an affordable offset that has 1/4” steel and drafts well.

The new OKJ ones will frustrate you the same as your current one. Maybe less so, but still frustrating. They are a bit thicker, but not thick enough to matter. They draft poorly.

I learned cooking on a Stickburner on a new OKJ Highland. You can cook good barbecue on it but it’s a lot more work and frustration than cooking on a good one.
My first one was homemade the second (now) is the OKJ Highland. I guess I don't know better so I'm perfectly happy with the use and results. I did do some minor mods though.

My first one was homemade the second (now) is the OKJ Highland. I guess I don't know better so I'm perfectly happy with the use and results. I did do some minor mods though.

I did all the common mods as well to my OKJ. It’s completely serviceable and I made good Barbeque on it. Once the weather cooled, it was more challenging to use. The drafting issues resulted in having to leave the door wide open most of the time or I’d end up with dirty smoke. I’d lose the coal bed after a few hours and have to add charcoal. These are problems you can hit in any offset if you don’t know what you are doing, but I’m pretty confident in my case it wasn’t a knowledge gap on my part as the problems went away with the Horizon.

I’ll also say when you see a good offset drafting properly- the difference in convection bs the OKJ is night and day.

Last edited:
Old Country Brazos, 1/4" steel, exhaust at grate level, $1,000.

Or if you want a counter weight on the door, the Brazos DXL , $1,200

Hard to beat this smoker in that price range.

Interesting- I didn’t know the Brazos was 1/4”. Thought it was thinner for some reason

I live in Colorado and just had Bellfab in Oklahoma build me a 24x48 offset. It's not the prettiest smoker out there but it's well built out of 3/8 inch thick steel. I added several options (two extra wheels, collector style smokestack, probe port, stainless steel handles, folding front shelf, etc) above his base backyard smoker and it was under 1300 bucks. Haven't cooked on it alot yet but it holds temperatures really well and should last forever.

http://www.bellfab.com/

You're less than an hour drive from Johnson Smokers in Ennis, Texas. Your budget might be a bit tight as I think his most modestly priced smoker comes in at about $1600. Definitely worth a trip though as he (Chad Johnson) makes some amazing smokers.

Just my 2 cents here but it's better to spend a bit more and get a "legacy quality" smoker than to buy something which will fall apart 2 years from now.

www.johnsonsmokers.com

Just wanted to second SmoothBoar's recommendation. The "compact patio" model comes in at $1,575 and looks similar in size to what you are already working with. The price is a bit of a stretch from you budget, but if you can pick it up yourself that is a huge saving. As was mentioned above, remember to compare the total price of having it sitting in your yard. If you buy a cheaper pit but have to have it shipped, it's probably a wash as shipping can run several hundred $$. One thing to think of though, if it matters to you, is if you want straight or reverse flow. The johnson's are reverse flow.

BTW. I have had the 2D Patio model for years now, and have been very happy with it.

Good Luck with the search, I know it can be an exciting but stressful decision to make.

In your price range I would certainly look at the Old Country Brazos. If you up your budget slightly, the locally built recommendation sounds like a winner.

Great Thoughts Everybody,
I really appreciate the input. I think I'm leaning toward the Old Country Brazos but I'm still thinking about it.

BTW: My wife told me "Spend as much as you want but then NO MORE GRILLS.
Why would you need more than one anyway?"

I told her NO DEAL! I reserve the right for a Grill to be named later.

Thanks again for all the help
Joe

Back