THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ya I have considered that. I want them all lol. Looked at a Shirley also but they are over 2 years wait. I am leaning towards a stick/charcoal co I can do any combination but pretty much all the ones I like do that I really like the looks of the American Barbecue systems pit boss and all of its options but it's thinner steel than the others I don't know lol that's the reason I figured I would ask the pro's maybe get some more information and input before I chose

St. Louis BBQ Store receives several shipments of Shirleys throughout the year. http://www.stlbbqstore.com
Currently I use a Lge BGE for steaks, burgers, brats, etc. and
a LSG Mini cabinet for ribs, butts, briskets, chicken, etc.
Deciding on which cooker to purchase is a good problem to have!

Last edited:
I have a medium Spicewine and love it. I've had other smokers, but the Spicewine with a home-made charcoal maze is basically idiot-proof. Competitions are a lot more fun now that I don't have to babysit a stick burner.

I'd recommend a quality, insulated cabinet smoker.

Two uds with two grates each will cook a lot of food.

One to burn stick, one for charcoal. About $ 100 each.

Throw the other $4k or so in a mutual fund or pay off some debt with it.

They are also mobile. Easily thrown in the back of a truck if you want to cook at a friend's house or remote location.

One uds will cook for a lot more than five people too.

Two uds with two grates each will cook a lot of food.

One to burn stick, one for charcoal. About $ 100 each.

Throw the other $4k or so in a mutual fund or pay off some debt with it.

They are also mobile. Easily thrown in the back of a truck if you want to cook at a friend's house or remote location.

One uds will cook for a lot more than five people too.
:roll: :tape:

Hi everyone I have come to a point I need advice on. I have been saving a long time to buy me my dream pit. The problem is that I honestly am having trouble deciding on what to get. First off my budget is $4500 and wife said not a penny more lol. I have been looking for almost 6 months seriosly now. We really like charcoal and wood flavor its also what i have used for years on my kettle. I have never used a stick burner but not affraid to start. Here's a few of the smokers I am considering in random order. Lang 48 hybrid deluxe patio. Lang 36 hybrid deluxe patio. Heavily upgraded lonestar 24x36 cabinet. Upgraded 48 assassin grill. Yoder ys640 or ys1500 although i hear pellets dont have much flavor.American Barbecue systems pit boss. Ole Hickory ultra. My problem is that they are all awesome definitely things I like about them all. Just can't make up my mind. I really like the American Barbecue systems pit boss has rotisserie and flat racks possible pellet add on etc. But then there is the lonestar lol see what I mean I know all of them are way overkill I'm only cooking for 5 at most but it's my addiction lol plus i like lots of options. I guess my biggest problem is that I am wanting it to last for ever and cook good and look cool. Can anyone help me with some recommendations and elaborate as to why. This has become a harder decision than a new car. I really appreciate any advice I can get.

Looks like you're in Michigan and unless you like trudging through the snow to throw a coupe sticks in the in the firebox I would highly recommend a insulated vertical cabinet for year round use.

Multiple cookers. You're budget will allow for it. A drum and a stick burner. Best of both worlds because you're not going to be burning sticks every time. Unless you're retired, retiring or don't have a day job.

Oh and this is a not a trading forum. We help you spend your money here so disregard the investing advice. :becky:

Sky is the limit. As far as what to get... It is up to you. None of them are bad choices.
Not on your list but you could look at 270 Smokers. I have one and love mine. Staggered shelves really make meat access easy. Plus the shelves are wide but not deep. Again easier access to the meat. The cook chamber door is angled. This makes it so it isn't hard on your back. Just slide out the shelves and easy access to the meat and not much bending. It makes me happy. I have recently developed back problems. This is really important imo. Less bending means my back doesn't hurt so bad.

It may not come in flashy colors or stand out because of the way it looks. Its an odd shape. It stands out when you cook with it.

They recommend not using temp controllers. Which it doesn't need one. It cooks faster.

Give them a look. At the end of the day though you have to live with it. So choose what you want.

If your goal is the ultimate 'Que, I suggest you check out the Karubecue. Look up their website -- the guy who designed it specifically did so by decontructing the physics and chemistry of a fire and inventing a mechanism and method for maintaining a perfect fire and delivering perfect smoke to the smoker. The footprint is small and the price shipped is way under your budget.

Also, check out the amazingribs.com review,
Good luck,
Ray

If your goal is the ultimate 'Que, I suggest you check out the Karubecue. Look up their website -- the guy who designed it specifically did so by decontructing the physics and chemistry of a fire and inventing a mechanism and method for maintaining a perfect fire and delivering perfect smoke to the smoker. The footprint is small and the price shipped is way under your budget.

Also, check out the amazingribs.com review,
Good luck,
Ray

Good pick. I used to have one. If someone wants a stick burner results without the large footprint and hundreds of pounds of weight, it's the way to go.

Look ya gotta get one that can handle the weather, most live down south, most don't have to put up with Edmond Fitzgerald type of wind. Stick burners are great but a lot of frustration in 20 inches of snow and -10. I was in the same situation had 4k to blow on a cooker, Check out meadow creek they make a nice stick burner, and you can pick it up in Shipsuanna, less the freight cost.

Thanks everyone for all the advice I have a uds and the kettle so I'm only going with one more I am starting to highly consider the insulated type smoker more due to crap weather up here in winter. Lol well at least I'm a step closer I like the idea of the gravity feed ones like Stumps southern Q etc .

Thanks everyone for all the advice I have a uds and the kettle so I'm only going with one more I am starting to highly consider the insulated type smoker more due to crap weather up here in winter. Lol well at least I'm a step closer I like the idea of the gravity feed ones like Stumps southern Q etc .

You could alway get a non-insulated smoker and use the savings to move south! :idea:

I went through the same thing last year with a smaller budget of $2500. I ended up with a smaller ABS, the All Star. I live in Kansas City which gets cold, maybe not as long as a winter as Michigan, but very cold at times. I have no trouble with keeping the temps. I have a buddy with the Pitt Boss that loves it. You also see it at a lot of comps around here. An insulated cabinet smoker was my second choice and I'll probably get a small one some day. You won't go wrong with either. Good luck!

Back