Need new crock-pot. Programmable or Instant Pot?

wahoowad

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
PookieBoo
Not a smoking topic, but looks like this forum allows other cookin' techniques in the kitchen :)

I have an old Crock-pot with basic manual controls of Hi/Med/Warm. The lid is a spitter - meaning it doesn't have that little hole for steam to escape so pressure causes little spurts of water spew out onto the counter or adjacent objects. I've always hated that. I'm considering replacing it with a modern programmable unit as they have a steam escape vent and lids that lock closed. I also want the handy programmable feature to cook on Hi for X hours, then drop down to Low.

So while contemplating a new one I am seeing this Instant Pot getting rave reviews. Many are replacing their slow cooker and rice steamer and sometimes other appliances with this one unit. Has anybody bought one of these Instant Pots and should I get it instead of a new programmable crock-pot? The only downside seems to be they are smaller, but that is Ok as there is just the two of us and I usually waste a lot of food out of our current unit.

After having had my IP for over a year now. If I had to choose between one or other it would definitely be the IP. My slow cooker is 7.5 qt and my IP is only 6. But they make an 8 qt IP too if size matters.

InstantPot hands down. The only advantage a traditional crock pot has over the IP is the oval size like a roaster. But that is reaching a bit.

I use my instant pot more in a month, than I have used my slow cooker in the last 5 years. The instant pot works as a slow cooker too, but I don't use that function. I like making chili in 30 minutes, not 8 hours. I would go with the 8qt for sure. I wish mine was bigger at times. They also make a multi cooker, like you are talking about, but it is not pressure. I don't know anything about it, but there is a link.
https://instantpot.com/portfolio-item/gem-multicooker/

Crock Pot also now makes electric pressure cookers. Again, I can't say anything about them, but here is a link.
http://www.crock-pot.com/specialty/crock-pot-express-crock-multi-cooker/SCCPPC600-V1.html

My only hesitation (and I can get past it) is I am "calibrated" in my head as to how long certain items need to cook in my crockpot. The youtube videos for the IP are astonishing in how quickly people are cooking things and I would have to research everything.

I guess another question is about periodically stirring the contents in the IP. I made a potato soup the other day in the crockpot and opened it up several times over the course of the 4 to 5 hour cook to give it a stir. Is that more of a hassle, or something to avoid doing, with the IP if the lid is typically locked down and the unit pressurized?

My only hesitation (and I can get past it) is I am "calibrated" in my head as to how long certain items need to cook in my crockpot. The youtube videos for the IP are astonishing in how quickly people are cooking things and I would have to research everything.

I guess another question is about periodically stirring the contents in the IP. I made a potato soup the other day in the crockpot and opened it up several times over the course of the 4 to 5 hour cook to give it a stir. Is that more of a hassle, or something to avoid doing, with the IP if the lid is typically locked down and the unit pressurized?

No stirring with a pressure cooker, turn it on and wait for dinner. Yes, as with any new cooking method, there is a learning curve. But it is worth the time. What I do is just find a recipe similar to what I want, and tweak it for my own recipe. https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/chunky-potato-cheese-soup/

You won't regret the IP. We bought the 8 qt and ending up getting the 3 qt also since it is usually just 2 of us.

The IP has been a fantastic replacement for our own CrocPot here. We've used it for all the normal CP functions, plus as a rice cooker, and even the pressure function.

Great thoughts above, and I like the idea that it'll cook my dish and keep it warm until it's time to serve.

I agree with having both, they both have a place. I have never had good luck trying to use my instantpot as a slower cooker, contents always boiled.

I definitely need it to replace my crockpot or it isn't worth getting. I slow cook in the crockpot way more than I use any other IP functions. I would want to freecycle or toss my old crockpot if I get an IP.

I definitely need it to replace my crockpot or it isn't worth getting. I slow cook in the crockpot way more than I use any other IP functions. I would want to freecycle or toss my old crockpot if I get an IP.

In terms of price, just get a $40 slower cooker if that is all you're going to use. It's like buying a Shirley and just using the warmer to cook in.

I have the Cosori pressure cooker and it comes with a glass lid with vent hole and it has a slow cooker function so you can use it as both.

Get one you won’t regret it. it’s a pressure cooker and slow cooker. i can see how some have issues with the slow cooker setting but there’s plenty of info out there that’ll help you dial it in. some folks buy a glass lid for using it as a slow cooker as it will allow some steam to escape. I’ve taken to making Ramen broth in mine. I take turkey or chicken backbones and give em some smoke while cooking cue. Just seal em and freeze for later use. definately will knock the socks of any soup or broth out there.

Instant pot has permanent counter space in our home which comes at a premium. Our slow cooker hasn’t come out of the cabinet in about a year. I’m about to kick it out of the kitchen all together and relegate it to the garage.

Back