Need Help Picking My First Ceramic Grill

Hipfan

Found some matches.
Hey everyone,
another post regarding "what grill should I buy?":wacko:

I've currently have a Weber Genesis which has served me well since I bought it 6 years ago, however, I really want to get into smoking meat, and I have been extensively researching BGE/Primo/KJ, trying to figure out what is best for me, and my budget. I'm getting to the point where I'm paralyzed because I don't want to make the wrong decision (this is a one time shot for me, and I don't want to regret making the wrong decision because I'll have to live with it for years), so I figured some of you experts might be able to point me in the right direction! Here's what I'd be using the grill for, and the options I have available:

I'd like to get into smoking ribs/pork shoulders, etc, as well as high heat searing for my steaks, and maybe cook some pizza as well. Smoking/high heat are my main goals, and I know all three would do the job.

The problem I'm having is the size vs budget. Generally speaking, it would be used for myself and my family of 5. I'm a pastor, and I do have company over fairly regularly, so I'd also like to use it for larger gatherings of up to 15-20 people (maybe more?) from time to time. I would certainly be cooking for 8-10 on a regular (monthly) basis. Would a large BGE/KJ be big enough for my needs?

Here are my options:

I can get a KJ for $1300 (taxes included) - note I'm in Canada!

BGE Large - $1550, includes nest, but not taxes - and I'd need to get the conveggtor, and some other accessories, so I'm pushing $1700 CDN plus taxes, which is really pushing my budget.

Primo - Kamado - $1150+taxes

Primo - Large 300 - $1250 + taxes & stand (could have someone make one for me, I'm guessing $200 in wood?)

Primo XL - $1900 + taxes - this is a demo model that also includes a cart, which is a big bonus.

I'm thinking the BGE and Primo Large are out of the picture due to price. The KJ is a good price, it's within my budget but I'm worried that I will need to add on to it at some point if it's not big enough for my needs, which is not really an option for me (due to lack of space for 3 grills and budget).

The Primo XL would be great, but it's destroying my budget. I wouldn't even consider it, except that it's a very good deal (I believe? - saving about $1000 from a "new" one with the cart) and I wouldn't have to worry about the size.

My head is saying go with the Kamado Joe, as I have the budget for it, and it comes with all the basic accessories I'd need to get started. But, I'm worried that I will need more space.

My heart says the Primo XL, as I'd never need to worry about the space issues, but my wallet says, not so much! And I could really use the $900 difference (after taxes) on other things.

I guess I'm hoping to hear that the large will do me just fine - am I right?

I have the Primo XL( $2,000) and the Akorn ($250). All of the cookers you mentioned are great quality, so IMHO its a matter of preference. I've never cooked on the KJ or Egg, so I can only tell you my experience with the two I have. The Primo oval shape works really well for giving you a bit of extra cooking space. I can run four butts on it with no problem. You can split the firebox, only use one deflector plate and reverse sear is a dream. Use the whole firebox and both deflector plates and you'll roast/cook for hours and hours without looking. Take both deflector plates out and you can direct grill steaks, burgers, etc. You don't have to worry about food drying out because any of the ceramics keep moisture in the cook chamber. If you add a cast iron kettle, you can cook beans, lasagna, mac N cheese, or anything that you might cook in your oven. The Akorn doesn't give you things like the split firebox and deflector but is a very strong cooker. Its a little smaller, but I can still get 3 butts or four racks of ribs on it. The biggest difference is that the Akorn is metal, but with reasonable care & maintenace it will last for several years. You'll easily feed 8 people with either cooker. Given your budget, the Akorn would be a great way to introduce yourself to this style of cooking, and give you time to save up for the "big" cooker that you choose. In the end, I don't think you can make a bad choice here. Good luck!

Get a Big Joe at a Costco road show... Buy as many bags of their lump that you can afford at the same time!

I think the Weber Summit Charcoal is worth a look, no cracking and you can move it easily without the fear of dumping it and busting it.

Normal large size egg is limited on space. The xl egg and primo xl are comparable in capacity, but it's easier to do two zone cooking in the primo because of the oval shape. U can do it on the egg or kj, but instead of left/right setup, you will need to use the deflector plates etc. if going with a round, I think the kj gives better value than the egg. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a thought from someone who has owned (still do own) a large BGE for a long time and now has an offset smoker... If you are looking to primarily smoke and are ok with tending a fire I'd go with the offset. A clean burning fire in the offset yields a much better end product. The BGE is great for grilling, pizzas, and even holding steady temperatures for long periods of time. What I'm not a fan of is the way it puts smoke on the meat. It smolders wood chunks rather than cleanly burning them. The smoke isn't clean and can lend a strong, acrid flavor to the meat if overdone. I'll keep my egg to grill, cook pizza, and as an outdoor oven. But, if I'm going to smoke something I'll do it on my offset. Just an opinion from a recent stickburner convert.

I think the Weber Summit Charcoal is worth a look, no cracking and you can move it easily without the fear of dumping it and busting it.

I had a BGE XL and now have a Weber Charcoal Summit. I like the summit much better for many reasons. Much better gasket, less maintence, don't have to worry about the fire ring cracking. Don't have to keep tightening the lid band. And much easier to move without the worry of breaking it. And the lid lifts way easier. The BGE did pizza and steaks well. The WCS does pizza and steak just as good and smokes way better. The BGE in my opinion is to effiecint for a clean low burn. Sometimes leaving a creosote taste on the food. The WCS may not be that efficient. But it's close and it burns clean at the lower temps. Price is about the same when you compare apples to apples after you buy the Accesories for the BGE. Weber you get what you need. Nothing extra to buy.

I saw one at the state fair, and it sure looks like a high quality machine. Of course, for the price it should be. :mrgreen:

Just a thought from someone who has owned (still do own) a large BGE for a long time and now has an offset smoker... If you are looking to primarily smoke and are ok with tending a fire I'd go with the offset. A clean burning fire in the offset yields a much better end product. The BGE is great for grilling, pizzas, and even holding steady temperatures for long periods of time. What I'm not a fan of is the way it puts smoke on the meat. It smolders wood chunks rather than cleanly burning them. The smoke isn't clean and can lend a strong, acrid flavor to the meat if overdone. I'll keep my egg to grill, cook pizza, and as an outdoor oven. But, if I'm going to smoke something I'll do it on my offset. Just an opinion from a recent stickburner convert.

EXACTLY! Totally agree.

I saw one at the state fair, and it sure looks like a high quality machine. Of course, for the price it should be. :mrgreen:

I second this. I have had mine for two weeks now. I LOVE this grill. All my friends that come over marvel at it. Its a machine, for sure.

Thanks for the responses so far everyone; as some people have mentioned picking one up at Costco, here in Canada I've never seen the Kamado Joe's in Costco. They have the Pit Boss from time to time, though. May have to look into the Weber now too.

Thanks for the responses so far everyone; as some people have mentioned picking one up at Costco, here in Canada I've never seen the Kamado Joe's in Costco. They have the Pit Boss from time to time, though. May have to look into the Weber now too.

I heard on the KJ forum the new Canada rep is going to do road shows up there so you should see them now.

If you go with a BGE, KJ or Primo you won't be making a mistake. All are quality, well built products. But, I'd make sure to buy from a reputable, helpful dealer that you trust (I my opinion that is worth more than saving a few bucks).

I have a XL BGE and really like it, My father in law just bought a KJ. The KJ divide & conquer system is included has 2 levels of grids effectively doubling the cooking space

Because you'll be cooking for 15 - 20 people, I'd recommend going with the largest one you can afford.

I think they are all great choices. With that said however I would have to recommend the Weber Summit as well based on the fact of ease of transport and not having to worry about dumping it or cracking the firebox from use.

The KJ's are only available during the roadshows. Looks like in Canada, they change every two months. There were only two KJ roadshows in Dec. One in ON & one in BC. While in the US there are 21 roadshows in January.

I've got a large BGE and like it. I've fit ~16lbs of pork butts (3 butts) on it, and recently smoked a 13.5lbs brisket. Both of those cooks were for crowds of 20ish and there were leftovers.

I got my BGE with our house, the stand was built into the deck so the previous owners included it with the house. If I were buying one today I'd get the KJ. Better value IMO. Nicer thermometer, the divide and conquer system is really cool, and it's included. With the Egg you have to buy all the extras separately, so the price goes up quickly.

Kj has some new things coming out. New gasket, firebox, hinge and working on other things. I would go with kj. Since they seem to be looking for newer and better things.

Back