THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oldbill, what is your take on the 1/2" fire box as to the 1/4"? (or anyone else). I noticed that you got this upgrade on your lsg offset.

Oldbill, what is your take on the 1/2" fire box as to the 1/4"? (or anyone else). I noticed that you got this upgrade on your lsg offset.
Well the first thing that will wear out on a pit is the firebox. It will warp with extreme heat (even 1/4 inch steel will) and there is major corrosion in that area due to the mixture of ash and any moisture from rain or humidity, so the extra thickness pretty much insures that you'll have a firebox that will be there for the life of the pit, will never warp and can corrode all it wants to but will always be fully functional.
The great side benefit however is the thermal mass that you gain with the extra thick steel. Once that 1/2 inch plate heats up with a properly maintained bed of coals it continues to radiate into the rest of the pit and really helps with fuel economy. One day last summer I went out to close up the dampers after a cook and saw that the temps were holding in the 250 range even though I hadn't added a split for a couple of hours. So I opened the firebox door and was amazed to find that all there was left of the fire was a thin layer of glowing coals and ash! Barring a cold rain or really cold winds the extra thermal mass makes a HUGE difference in economy and efficiency, especially when it's coupled with the warmer/oven catching and holding on to lost heat off the top of the firebox.:-D

My first stickburner was a Jambo with an insulated firebox. So my expectations were a little skewed from the onset lol. My 24x30 lsg w a 1/4" firebox uses a pretty good sized chunk every 45 min or so. It also takes a little bigger fire to get going. Hind sight being 20/20, I would have gone 1/2" or better yet, insulated. Not sure if you can do an insulated w the warming oven though. One thing is for sure though... IMO The vertical offset is the best stickburner for the $ on the market right now.

My first stickburner was a Jambo with an insulated firebox. So my expectations were a little skewed from the onset lol. My 24x30 lsg w a 1/4" firebox uses a pretty good sized chunk every 45 min or so. It also takes a little bigger fire to get going. Hind sight being 20/20, I would have gone 1/2" or better yet, insulated. Not sure if you can do an insulated w the warming oven though. One thing is for sure though... IMO The vertical offset is the best stickburner for the $ on the market right now.
Yeah, unfortunately if you get an insulated box you can't have a grill top or the oven. However, the extra thick steel of the 1/2 inch plate and the warmer combo is the next best thing to having the insulated firebox for sure.:thumb:

I have the insulated vertical from Lone Star Grillz, and its the best "set it and forget it" smoker you can consider buying. True, stick burners produce the best Q, but I dont have the patience to tend fire, and it still produces some damn fine Q, and can hold the capacity you are looking for.

I did consider the offset vertical from Lone Star Grillz as well, but lazy won the battle...Who knows, one day I will "upgrade" to the offset vertical.

Thank y'all for everyone's input! I placed an order on Dec 11th, but started over thinking it. (I'll blame that on N2Q :wink:, he put his up for sale and sent my head spinning) I still want to tend a fire and burn sticks, maybe later (much later) I will buy a insulated vertical (mini) to add to the arsenal. I emailed LSG upsized to the 30". 24" Warming oven, 1/2" fire box, stainless steel shelf, 8" casters, 1 extra temp. gauge, gas assist, hangers in the oven, and a charcoal basket. Now, just the wait, and yes pjtexas1 the Muscrat pit is for sale :thumb:.

I really don't want to know how much you want for the Muscrat pit.:rolleyes: The wife would not be happy.:boxing:

Thank y'all for everyone's input! I placed an order on Dec 11th, but started over thinking it. (I'll blame that on N2Q :wink:, he put his up for sale and sent my head spinning) I still want to tend a fire and burn sticks, maybe later (much later) I will buy a insulated vertical (mini) to add to the arsenal. I emailed LSG upsized to the 30". 24" Warming oven, 1/2" fire box, stainless steel shelf, 8" casters, 1 extra temp. gauge, gas assist, hangers in the oven, and a charcoal basket. Now, just the wait, and yes pjtexas1 the Muscrat pit is for sale :thumb:.

Excellent choice. You will love it!

Gonna have to plead temporary insanity on putting mine up for sale/trade! Gotta get that taken down lol. In a perfect world, I'd like mine AND a vertical insulated mini as well.

Congrats, going through the same issues, got a lot of great advice was going with the 24x24 offset, then thought of the insulated one. Wife gave approval, but I just keep thinking either will be way too much overkill for a backyard smoker for 2-6 people. The cool factor as well as the ability to have more room when I need it keeps pushing me towards these. I love my WSM cookers, but the ability to cook 4 racks of ribs and a brisket at the same time without the hassle of using the lower grate is a huge plus. Also those vert offsets just look sooooooo cool

Congrats, going through the same issues, got a lot of great advice was going with the 24x24 offset, then thought of the insulated one. Wife gave approval, but I just keep thinking either will be way too much overkill for a backyard smoker for 2-6 people. The cool factor as well as the ability to have more room when I need it keeps pushing me towards these. I love my WSM cookers, but the ability to cook 4 racks of ribs and a brisket at the same time without the hassle of using the lower grate is a huge plus. Also those vert offsets just look sooooooo cool

Thats exactly one of the main the reasons I upgraded to the cabinet smoker from my WSM...It makes backyard smoking a pleasure and less of a hassle of fully loading the wsm down. Friends and family were also asking me to smoke meats for them when I was cooking...The extra capacity is awesome when you need it, and you will :)

Back