Need help and advice

Landarc, you are right, but with the cottage laws you can only sell within your own county, there are some exceptions. You can also sell almost any food product at your own retail store or restaurant, that is inspected by the local health department. If you want to sell outside your own store or county, there is no way around FDA.

Agreed. But it's a good way to start and test product in the market. There is a huge difference in feedback when people pay for a product versus when they receive free product. Selling through a few local outlets gives you real world feedback. However, commercial kitchens with FDA approval can be hard to find and pricey. Co-packers usually have minimums in the 25 to 50 case range. And in many cases they ask for $2500 to $5000 up front in lab and formulation fees.

yeah cottage kitchen would be a good way to test, I didn't think of that possibility.

A while back I imported some green coffee beans from Latin America, they had to be stored and shipped in FDA approved and inspected facilities. Our wonderful government has made it almost impossible to start anything from scratch.

I know Moose looked into packaging his chicken rub.
For whatever reason he decided against it.
You might want to shoot him a PM to find out why before you get too deep into this project.

Back