Need help and advice

Tonybel

Babbling Farker
We are thinking of experimenting and making our own carne asada seasoning. selling it if it's good. We need advice where to start? Where to buy wholesale spices to start mixing? Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. If anything just to have fun and a excuse to eat carne asada and testing different seasonings..lol

Thank you

Tony and Maribel

Also, I bet that since you're making something that I don't think they sell, the guys from Oakridge BBQ and Big Poppa Smokers would give you some pointers on suppliers and general business startup in the online rub/food sales game. They are good guys and both Brethren here.

That's great, I'd order some authentic seasonings as well..

For the legalities.... You'll have to check with your local county health department for approval for public sales. Bear in mind that in most cases these will have to be mixed and packed in an approved commercial kitchen. However, some regions do allow for some items to be hand-crafted and sold at local farmers markets....

Not trying to discourage you, but... We live in a litigious society today so seek a business plan for incorporation and get insurance. If one person claims illness from your product, you could be personally sued and lose everything you own if you are not incorporated and do not have insurance.

That's great, I'd order some authentic seasonings as well..

For the legalities.... You'll have to check with your local county health department for approval for public sales. Bear in mind that in most cases these will have to be mixed and packed in an approved commercial kitchen. However, some regions do allow for some items to be hand-crafted and sold at local farmers markets....

Not trying to discourage you, but... We live in a litigious society today so seek a business plan for incorporation and get insurance. If one person claims illness from your product, you could be personally sued and lose everything you own if you are not incorporated and do not have insurance.

Thank you. I need all the advice I can get. Whether it's not worth doing or it's easy I want to hear it all. I just want an idea how to start.

Anyone else...:confused:

Word of mouth travels quickly. If you perfect a seasoning you like, try it out on Family and Friends with no intro or build up. If it is good they will let you know. You can build slowly from there.

Just my .02 and Good Luck! :becky:

As stated above, check with county health. A dry seasoning mix will likely come under Cottage Industry classification initially, and you would be fine. Anything wet or requiring cooking during preparation, or that you wish to sell through retail stores, you will need to use a commercial kitchen.

AND

If you plan on selling more than a few cases a year, you really want the help of a co-packer, as they can get the lab analysis, UPC code and label design approved a lot easier than you will be able to.

In terms of spices, use spices from a large supplier with national recognition, my favorite is Penzey's for quality. The issue will be that if you choose to go to a co-packer, they will always have access to different ingredients than you do, and they will always want to reformulate to match their processes. If you are going to process at home, definitely get a business i.d. number (tax payer i.d. number) and a business license and buy your ingredients from a local restaurant supplier with good turnover.

I'm in for some as well. I have never been able to quite get it as good as I get at a few local carnicerias around here. So I can't help with a recipe but would buy some for sure.

I've looked into this idea. It will have to be made and packaged in an FDA approved and inspected facility.

I've looked into this idea. It will have to be made and packaged in an FDA approved and inspected facility.

Not necessarily. If it's a dry packaged product some agencies now allow for cottage industries to produce product in commercial kitchens and even at home. There are limitations on how you can sell. Clearly, for larger sales a co-packer is the best option

Back