Need Brethren wisdom about reheating butt for pulled pork

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Yoeri
Our local farm has an 'Open field day' on June 12th and we have offered to do pulled pork tacos for visitors. So we´re getting a pork butt from the pigs they will be slaughtering this week. I have my smoker going this Fri/Sat and was thinking of smoking the butt until it´s done for pulling. Then letting it cool down a bit and wrap it in several layers of foil. And when cool enough, stick it in the fridge for a week. Reheat it at location, pull and serve.

Bad idea to hold the pork in the fridge for a week or should that be ok?

If you have the equipment, I would consider vacuum sealing and then reheating in a hot water bath. Smaller batches can be reheated using a sous vide immersion circulator and larger ones using a propane burner and fryer pot like a Turkey fryer. That is how I would reheat for friends, not sure what sort of guidelines you’re dealing with there though. You’ll probably be fine keeping it vacuum sealed and refrigerated for a week, but I’d personally freeze it for a few days to er on the side of caution.

IMO a week in the frig is too long wrapped in foil. I agree with the vacuum seal method previously mentioned, freezing for a few of those days…

I agree with the other comments. A week is about my max for anything sitting in the refrigerator. I don't think I would feel comfortable serving that to others. Like the others have said, I would pull it and freeze if for a few days.

Back