National BBQ Cup

Right on Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Just saw this on the KCBS BOD agenda

Kim Collier: Hi all Randall Bowman and associate's are wanting to have an AM. Royal type of event. Basically using the same rules and set up of the Am. Royal.

So I am bring this to you attention so it can be discussed at the BOD meeting, where Randall and associates will be on hand to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

His thoughts/request are below

The National BBQ Cup (Que'n in Cumming) that had for the past 5 years been in Cumming, GA in November every year (The weekend before Thanksgiving) will move its name to a new event in Nashville, TN on Memorial Day weekend. It will become an invitational and open (very similar to the American Royal format), it will be a friday/saturday for the invitational and the open will be saturday/sunday. All KCBS Grand Champions will be invited.

We will keep an event in Cumming,Ga on the same dates we have had in the past but will use the past tag line as the event name, Que'n in Cumming for 2016

This is great! Very cool that an event like the AR is coming to the south!

When will the information about the contest being Nashville become available?

I really don't know anything more than what I've read on the BOD agenda.

I'm not even sure if it's happening in 2016 or will wait until 2017. Either way it's very nice to have a contest like that in Nashville if it happens.

I like the idea, but it will no doubt kill the contest in Lewisburg TN (9th year) which is an hour away on that same weekend.

I was thinking about that too...Banjo B Que is that same weekend as well, and it's got a huge draw from teams that might go to Nashville instead.

Since the Invitation will be on Saturday (must have won a GC to be invited) and the Open is on Sunday it shouldn't hurt the Lewisburg contest too much. Will probably be some that compete in Lewisburg on Saturday and then over to Nashville on Sunday.
Now to get from Evans to Nashville on Saturday after turn-ins (and even more so after awards) would definitely be a problem.

Since the Invitation will be on Saturday (must have won a GC to be invited) and the Open is on Sunday it shouldn't hurt the Lewisburg contest too much. Will probably be some that compete in Lewisburg on Saturday and then over to Nashville on Sunday.
Now to get from Evans to Nashville on Saturday after turn-ins (and even more so after awards) would definitely be a problem.

I'd be surprised if it didn't hurt Lewisburg. Not that many teams around here wanting to cook a contest and then pickup and drive an hour to cook another. Plus, how easy do you really think it will be to roll into the Nashville contest late Saturday afternoon. I know the Nashville contest will not be at an American Royal level for it's first year, but I'm guessing it's not going to be easy on a team or the organizer to get the team setup late Saturday. I hope I'm completely wrong and both contests can co-exist on the same weekend, but I'm betting that it's not going to happen.

This is all the information I've seen so far. It looks like they just decided on all this recently seeing as the website isn't updated.

I hate to see that this will hurt a contest that's been doing well for almost a decade but overall it's a great thing for the southeast to have a contest like this.

The hubs saw where Randall had posted on his personal FB page that the contest will be at the Titan's stadium. I didn't see the post, so I'm not sure if that was a "hopeful" post, or fact, but that is what he read to me the other day.

I called and talked with Randall this morning and he told me it was at the Titan's stadium. He also said there would be more info soon as the website is being updated this week. Lots to do in Nashville. Just wish the road construction was complete. Drove through this morning and it was stopped for an accident and some construction.

Hello all, with all the questions being tossed around here, I thought I would jump on and try to answer as many as I can at this point. First off yes the dates are on the same weekend as a couple of other events but unfortunately to pull this off that was the only date that worked to get the support and location. The City of Nashville, State of TN, Nashville CVB, Metro Sports Authority (owns Titans Stadium), the Nashville Chamber agreed on this date only. The goal for The National BBQ Cup from its inception was to create an open and an invitational, in Cumming, GA (my home) we have a great facility but lack some of the other needs to attain this goal. The November dates IMHO are not a great choice for an event like this at this time either (with The Jack, American Royal, World Food and Sam's Club Final all right then). This event has been in the works for awhile but we needed to have the location locked in before going to far in the announcements. We have some huge partners in this and as you will see as we get closer all has been very well planned out and we are doing the absolute best we can to make this an event by cooks for cooks. Thank you all for your support and patience over the next couple of weeks as we get information out to you all. There will be a very basic informational website for the National BBQ Cup up by the end of the weekend as our incredible marketing agency partner puts the finishing touches on what appears to be the most advanced website I have ever seen. The website for the November Cumming, GA event will be updated this weekend as well. This will be moving at the speed of light over the next few weeks as we begin to announce and release things we have been working on this past year for this event.

Last edited:
So it will be a date that moves year to year? I believe if there is some feedback from the Royal, it is to keep it the same weekend year after year.

Back