My New Stick Burner - First Cook - Feedback Welcomed

caltexchris

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Chris
Cooking BBQ has been in my family for years. I have such vivid memories of my dad giving me little sips of his beer he used to make his sauce growing up and looking forward to being the first one to taste the ribs when they came off the grill. Through the years I have owned just about every style of grill you can have and currently use and love my BGE and my poor little Weber Genesis just doesn't get much attention.

Got the itch to get another offset and wanted to up my game. I'm in Northern California and started looking all around me for builders. KAT, Fatstack, and JH Smokers were the big three that I found through searches on here and other online sources. Ended up pulling the trigger on the JH Smoker and couldn't be happier.

This thing is a beast. I seasoned it on day 1 with standard high temp cooking spray then got a bunch of little cheapo oven temp gauges and spread them around in the pit to learn the hotspots and areas of the smoker. May also try the biscuit test too this week. Very even temps across the pit. Top rack as expected cooks about 15-20 degrees hotter but I was within about 5-10 degrees left to right. I expect this to even out the more I cook on it.

Next day I did a Prime Brisket, Pork Butt, 2 Racks of Ribs, 2 lbs of Chicken Thighs, and some Sausage. Here is what I learned (feedback is welcomed):

-I made the mistake of using the warmer (temp showing 150) too soon, I think. Once the ribs felt done (+/-5.5 hours), I put them wrapped into the warmer. I let the brisket rest for an hour then put it in the warmer, and I let the pork rest for an hour, pulled it, then put it in the warmer. Ribs were falling off the bone (but amazingly tasty), pork had dried up a bit, and brisket was dry and lost a ton of moisture. I am thinking either the warmer was too hot (baffle between firebox completely closed, and smoke stack barely cracked open), or I didn't give the meat enough time to rest and come down in temp prior to putting it in the warmer.

-Flavor was amazing, but it wasn't quite the intensity of smoke flavor I was expecting (or used to from my BGE). I used local Oak splits and ran the pit around 260-270. I feel like I used a TON of splits - almost one every 20 min or so. I started with a chimney of lump and 4 splits, coal bed was great to start, but adding a single split every 30-40 min didn't maintain the coal bed. Had to add more lump/briquettes every 3-4 hours to maintain a coal bed. Was able to maintain a good solid consistent temp, but I felt like I had to really baby it the entire time. Maybe this is just getting to know my pit?

I'll post another more in depth review of the pit, but man this thing is SOOO well built and kick a@@. If you're looking for an absolutely top notch build at a very competitive price point, call Justin over at JH Smokers.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The JH Pits look nice. Talked to him a couple years ago about building a smoker but ended up going with LSG. That looks like great smoker. Post more cook pics!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

i would say dont rest your meats in a warmer. They need to cool to get the juices reabsorbed. If you have them in a 150* warmer that will take a very long time. you are better just putting the wrapped meat in the oven and letting them sit there. Or in a cooler.

As for the coal bed. You may have to move to smaller splits of oak. I was using oversized splits in my Shirley and could NEVER keep a good coal bed because of how slow and smoothe they burned. Move to smaller splits so they burn quicker and get a better bed. Also, how were you controlling it? If you were using the dampers to keep the fire just large enough to keep the temp right, that also slows the burning of the wood and makes a consistent coal bed tougher.. i switch between that method AND franklins method of making a bigger fire and contorlling the temp by opening and closing the door of the box. its more work, babysitting, and burns a little more wood, but it keeps a MUCH better bed and consistent temps.

Just a couple of thought!

Good job on the first cook.. I like your style of going big on the first smoke!

rb

Congrats on the new smoker

Sounds like the warmer is either hotter than it's showing or you are getting radiant heat. I hold my meats at 150 but not until they cool down at room temp for an hour or so beforehand.

I had a weber bullet before my stickburner. When i made the switch i was overthinking it that my fire was too clean, or my wood was too dry because i thought i wasn't getting enough smoke. Finally I realized i was over smoking my food before I knew better. Stickburner flavors are unlike any other bbq methods IMO

I agree with the above post about trying smaller splits, it should help keep your coal bed healthy.

Yes...I use a mix of small splits and larger splits to keep a nice coal bed going. Congrats on that sweet smoker!! The meats look delicious!!

Also a stick burner of that quality gives a cleaner lighter smoke flavor. I started with a Oklahoma joe Lowe’s cheap smoker than went to a nice 120gal reversed flow which gave a lighter smoke flavor.

Sounds like the fire was very clean (lighter smoke flavor). Bge smolders wood and can be very strong...I had a primo oval xl for 8 years...a clean burning offset will be lighter smoke and sweeter...try mixing in some hickory with the oak if you want a bit stronger smoke profile. You could also dirty up the fire a bit...but I would wait awhile and do some more cooks and let your taste buds adapt a bit from the acrid kamado smoke flavor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back