THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"take shower (with beer)"
I told someone that after working hard in the middle of Texas summer, it was a true pleasure to stand in the running shower and drink a beer. They looked at me as if I was talking about a peanut butter and tuna sammich.

"Funny how I can't imagine myself saying that, I wonder if alchohol was involved."
ya think?

I'm just about to the point of jumping... it can't all be hype- there has to be a HUGE nugget of truth or a HUGE tanker of "the koolaid". Guess I will find out sooner than later.

Yesterday, I got up at 1:00AM, drove an hour to work, and did startup by 3:00AM for my employees. Worked 12 hours in a factory in 95 degree heat with my 25 welders, then drove an hour home. Thought to myself during the day, this is probably the first 4th in 10 years I haven't put on a huge feed and told myself I couldn't waste that streak, so when I got out of the truck at home I switched on the YS640 and grabbed a beer. Hacked up 50 wings for my family and my sons football buddies......An hour later I've got awesome wings! Had a few more beers showered and in bed to do it all over today. I thought about doing them on the kettle but I was bushed and didn't want to stand over the hot grill babysitting.

That's why I love my Pellet smoker.....convenient. If I want to play with fire, I've got a nice fire pit and a cord of wood stacked. I don't need any help drinking beer!:p

My whole deal was a smaller cooker that doesn’t leave a ton of leftovers. Smaller more frequent cooks. Quite a few of my friends had gone pellet. Mainly because they freely admitted the couldn’t cook well on the charcoal-sticks-chunks-etc. 1-2 went to electric with those puck shaped wood. Anyway, Id been wanting to rotate the lineup. The Davy Crockett was highly rated in various bbq reviews, it’s small enough to cook a meal- ease is pretty astounding.

Straight Up- it don’t taste the same as lump/briquettes and wood chunks. Best I can describe it- the smoke is there- just lighter and cleaner. You get a good flavor of whatever meat + whatever seasoning you use.

Is it the same? Imho no. It’s it good-absolutely. Is it quick-absolutely. Is it fun to cook with-absolutely. It’s very consistent taste. The smoke is pleasant emanating from the cooker and on the food. Light. Is it for everyone, probably not. I’m enjoying it.

It has a two year warranty. I’ll have many great cooks for the $339 price tag.

I agree and disagree. I smoked a pork picnic on a Weber kettle last weekend for 9 1/2 hours, using lump and chunks. I can honestly say, my YS640 can put more smoke on a pork butt. It's just a matter of getting the right pellets, and altering cooking methods a little. It's like any other cooker, you have to get use to it.

Straight Up- it don’t taste the same as lump/briquettes and wood chunks. Best I can describe it- the smoke is there- just lighter and cleaner. You get a good flavor of whatever meat + whatever seasoning you use.

I agree and disagree. I smoked a pork picnic on a Weber kettle last weekend for 9 1/2 hours, using lump and chunks. I can honestly say, my YS640 can put more smoke on a pork butt. It's just a matter of getting the right pellets, and altering cooking methods a little. It's like any other cooker, you have to get use to it.

Those Yoders can produce a hell-of-a smoke ring too....

Yes, I’m in training and on probation at the same time.

I’ll figure it out. It’s a tasty learning curve.

Yes, I’m in training and on probation at the same time.

I’ll figure it out. It’s a tasty learning curve.

Get you some mesquite pellets and go at 180* for a few hours, the fire dies down and when it drops pellets, they just smolder for a while before igniting.:thumb:

One of My friends has a Davey Crockett and I think it looks awesome. I'd love to have one for my RV. Would be perfect for the wife and I.....

^^^ No no never, she keeps us on track when it comes to finances.

Last edited:
One of My friends has a Davey Crockett and I think it looks awesome. I'd love to have one for my RV. Would be perfect for the wife and I.....

Was looking on amazon they have several accessories available Upper grate-grill grates, thermal blankets, custom covers etc etc. for the Davy Crockett.

I’m gonna keep it stock for a while.

A lot of my friends have Pellet grills and love them but I just can't get excited about them. Maybe as time goes on that will change.

A lot of my friends have Pellet grills and love them but I just can't get excited about them. Maybe as time goes on that will change.

Is it just me, or does watching someone fall down the pellet grill hole, sound a lot like an after school special about drugs. "All my friends are doing it". I see that comment a lot. Come on everyone, get one, and smoke a fatty already. It feels good to be bad.

Well Monday evening I put 3 butts on for some girls my wife works with,set my phone alarm for 3 hrs,i woke up 3 times 6-8 minutes before the alarm went off.never done but a few long smokes and they were day time. Could have slept all nite,the pitboss chugged rite along running Tn grilling competition blend,only had a small taste of 1 when I pulled it off and it was great,might change my mind after 2-3 pound but will do 1 for myself soon

Is it just me, or does watching someone fall down the pellet grill hole, sound a lot like an after school special about drugs. "All my friends are doing it". I see that comment a lot. Come on everyone, get one, and smoke a fatty already. It feels good to be bad.

Well, peer pressure can be a terrible thing but sometimes you just have to resist. I guess If I didn't already have a couple of smokers that are pretty much set it and forget it, I might be more interested in a pellet cooker.

I guess I'm also more into simplicity when it comes to cooking outside and I don't want to depend on electricity or mechanical parts on my cookers.

Back