THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RCantwell

Found some matches.
I'm new here and will get some info on me posted soon. I'm from Fort Davis, Tx. and am headed to Las Vegas to help my son at the Santa Anita Park Winners' Circle BBQ comp April 1, in California.
He uses 4 UDS's and rubs/sauce that he and my grandson have developed. He gets a good flavor for home and friends.
A friend has been on pitmasters, and I think there is too much smoke in what he serves, but if the judges only get one bite, I guess it needs to be overwhelming.
I use B/W rub on my brisket, he plans to inject a wagyu.
I do thighs, but he plans to try a cupcake tin. I trim and scrape fat, but for cupcake chicken how would the judge know where to bite to not get a mouth full of bone? Are they boned for cupcake?
I expect to see 100 entry's and would like to at least be in the top 50%.
One suggestion to start me off on the right foot would help.
Also if anyone here will be there let me know so I can look for you and get a face to face smile on Friday.
Thanks\
RCantwell

Welcome to the forum, RCantwell. For the thighs, there is a single bone that goes through the middle, so the judge will usually hold it there and it is all meat on either side. I usually cook legs, so I can't offer too much as far as tips on them. Good luck out there.

Thanks, Ronbrad62
I know about the 1 bone, but the cupcake chicken I have seen appear round and the bone doesn't show. Natural thighs are oblong and the bone runs the long way through the meat.

You may want to try and look up techniques online, but I remember seeing someplace that the round knuckle bones on either end are clipped off and makes a neater appearance and helps square things up.

Funtime BBQ will be at the contest if you have time to stop and say hello. What is the name of your son's team? I've only done the cupcake thighs once in practice. I trimmed them the same way I do regular thighs and just stuffed them into the round tin. I liked them for tenderness but don't like the way they look in a box. I would also say, judges may frown on too much smoke.

I think cup cake chicken has lost its vogue. I think it looks more unnatural than the already amount of unnatural trimming I do to thighs.

Head out to the BBQ Turn In Box Critique on Facebook, or BBQCritic.com, you can get a good idea of what looks good and what doesn't.

cupcake chicken out muffin tin chicken in. Seriously tho I'd be careful with the smoke flavor. Many of the top pitmasters say smoke is a seasoning don't over do it.

Thanks Bpeyton89
I agree, smoke is like black pepper, a seasoning, not a flavor. I guess it will be easier to get a thigh into a muffin tin than in a cupcake tin! I use Texas native pecan to smoke my brisket to 150 deg. Then butcher paper to 203, follow in a cambro for about 3 hours. I find about 1/4" deep red smoke ring that's not bitter.

smaller%20Smokey%20Hayes%20camp_1.jpg
I will look for you StarvinMarvin!

First attempt to upload a photo:

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo34/rodneycantwell/smaller Smokey Hayes camp.jpg

Last edited:
I talked to Ryan this morning and he was at the restaurant supply. I think he bought that exact pan! Thanks ThomEmery

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have that exact chair that you are in under the tent. Very comfy. My wife thought it would come in handy on my overnight cooks and she was right.

Here is a good video on competition chicken prep.

Good luck to you!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfdTFVwVEOI&t=535s&list=FLcaKuESbOlvEXB82NVrNOXw&index=25"]How to Cook Competition BBQ Chicken - YouTube[/ame]

Back