My first cook on new pellet grill

here is a post from a different member on a different form that had some of the best description on pellet smokers I came across.

Phil, In time your pallet will adjust to the smoke flavor of pellets. I assume you are a prior stick or charcoal burner. You can try using several of the methods found in various sections of this forum like a Smoke Daddy, Strainer Method, Smoke Stix, the Amazing Smoker, reduce the fan speed to name a few.

But you have to consider pellets are a manufactured biofuel produced from wood materials, usually sawdust, which has been dried, then passed through a hammer mill where the wood fibers are broken down to provide a uniform dough-like mass. This mass is fed to a press where it is squeezed through a die. The high pressure of the press raises the temperature of the wood causing the wood pitch (lignin) to separate and act as a binder forming a natural 'glue' that holds the pellet together as it cools.

With that said, Pellets are compressed wood, they are not “mini-wood Sticks; yes Margret there is a difference; they have less moisture, produce less ash (3-4%), less creosote and other voc’s.

In a nutshell: Pellets burn differently than wood sticks. Hold a match to a pellet and you’ll see it is difficult to light and to keep it burning. Pellets require a forced air burner system. In this system the flame produced is concentrated and intense in the small area of the burn pot as a combustion blower introduces air into the bottom of the burn-pot, while also forcing exhaust gases (smoke) up and out the chimney. This controlled system is much more efficient than stick burners; it just doesn’t produce much smoke.

Joe Traeger, a pellet stove manufacturer an inventor of the pellet grill, was faced with this challenge. He’s solution was to take the very efficient pellet stove burner system and make it inefficient. On high the system is still very efficient and produces very little smoke and on low it is inefficient and produces a lot more smoke but still not as much as a stick burner.

The other part of this is one’s perception or expectations of what a good smoke flavor is. Most food cooked on a stick burner in the backyard is over smoked and we have proclaimed this as “a good smoky flavor”, and “charcoal flavor” is mostly from coal dust, borax and other additives. Did you know that Canada law requires charcoal briquettes to be labeled under the Hazardous Products Act. Living in eastern North Carolina where whole hogs are cooked over hardwood coals the smoke flavor is very subtle and accents the flavor of the meat, never pronounced or overpowering. With my Traeger I can reproduce this.

I end here. If you have read this far you too will appreciate this quote from a fellow pellethead. “I have found the "smoke" flavor to be almost subliminal with the Traegers. It doesn't grab your collar and slap you around. It hits the nostrils like a sexy woman's perfume, and is part of the whole package rather than the main event... that hasn't bothered me in the least, which I'm surprised about...”

here is a post from a different member on a different form that had some of the best description on pellet smokers I came across.

Phil, In time your pallet will adjust to the smoke flavor of pellets. I assume you are a prior stick or charcoal burner. You can try using several of the methods found in various sections of this forum like a Smoke Daddy, Strainer Method, Smoke Stix, the Amazing Smoker, reduce the fan speed to name a few.

But you have to consider pellets are a manufactured biofuel produced from wood materials, usually sawdust, which has been dried, then passed through a hammer mill where the wood fibers are broken down to provide a uniform dough-like mass. This mass is fed to a press where it is squeezed through a die. The high pressure of the press raises the temperature of the wood causing the wood pitch (lignin) to separate and act as a binder forming a natural 'glue' that holds the pellet together as it cools.

With that said, Pellets are compressed wood, they are not “mini-wood Sticks; yes Margret there is a difference; they have less moisture, produce less ash (3-4%), less creosote and other voc’s.

In a nutshell: Pellets burn differently than wood sticks. Hold a match to a pellet and you’ll see it is difficult to light and to keep it burning. Pellets require a forced air burner system. In this system the flame produced is concentrated and intense in the small area of the burn pot as a combustion blower introduces air into the bottom of the burn-pot, while also forcing exhaust gases (smoke) up and out the chimney. This controlled system is much more efficient than stick burners; it just doesn’t produce much smoke.

Joe Traeger, a pellet stove manufacturer an inventor of the pellet grill, was faced with this challenge. He’s solution was to take the very efficient pellet stove burner system and make it inefficient. On high the system is still very efficient and produces very little smoke and on low it is inefficient and produces a lot more smoke but still not as much as a stick burner.

The other part of this is one’s perception or expectations of what a good smoke flavor is. Most food cooked on a stick burner in the backyard is over smoked and we have proclaimed this as “a good smoky flavor”, and “charcoal flavor” is mostly from coal dust, borax and other additives. Did you know that Canada law requires charcoal briquettes to be labeled under the Hazardous Products Act. Living in eastern North Carolina where whole hogs are cooked over hardwood coals the smoke flavor is very subtle and accents the flavor of the meat, never pronounced or overpowering. With my Traeger I can reproduce this.

I end here. If you have read this far you too will appreciate this quote from a fellow pellethead. “I have found the "smoke" flavor to be almost subliminal with the Traegers. It doesn't grab your collar and slap you around. It hits the nostrils like a sexy woman's perfume, and is part of the whole package rather than the main event... that hasn't bothered me in the least, which I'm surprised about...”
Exactly what I thought I was just going to say that .)

smoke at 150 degrees for 2 hours then Cook at whatever temperature you prefer

The lowest I would go for uncured meats would be 170°. If your meats are cured you can go as low as you want.

I smoke for 2 hours at 170° and the go to my preferred cooking temp. Works great for me.

As for the rain cap, the GMG says "run with it wide open always" as choking it down may lead to poor temp control.

On the Davy Crockett you have a sliding exhaust rain cap seems it would do the same thing choke down the exhaust of the Smoke, just not sure if it's recommend

No, the downdraft doesn't work at all the same as closing the cap. It relocates the exhaust down to the grate level, rather than having it exit out the top. The theory being that it forces the entire grill chamber to fill with heat/smoke. One of the best stickburners I've ever worked with had its exhaust at the grate level and it did a fine job. The owner had it relocated down there. I'm tempted to buy one and give it a try.

We usually set our YS640 to 180°F for the "give it two or three hours of extra smoke" routine, for those few cooks when it seems well advised. But really, that cooker puts out some pretty good food just by flipping the switch and picking a temperature for the cook.

People come back for seconds.

150 is a bad idea fpr only a hour or 2? Beef and 0ork not chicken??

ANY uncured meat shouldn't be smoked below 170°. The idea is that temp gets the outside of the meat out of the danger temps for microbes quickly. The inside of the meat is naturally sterile. You'll get plenty of smoke at 170°, don't worry.

This is a chuck roast from my Davy Crockett with 2 hrs at 170° to start. Finished at 250°

We usually set our YS640 to 180°F for the "give it two or three hours of extra smoke" routine, for those few cooks when it seems well advised. But really, that cooker puts out some pretty good food just by flipping the switch and picking a temperature for the cook.

People come back for seconds.

Welcome to the Yoder Team

Some of the best tri-tip I've ever cooked and I cook a lot of tri-tip. Very good smoke flavor very very clean they just hits you real nicely.

Cook too low and slow at 150 degrees for 1 hour then 180 degrees for 1hour. bump it up to 220 until it was shy of 10 degrees before my doneness then threw it into my infrared smoker and turn it up to 700 plus degrees.

Very tender and juicy

Last edited:
Some of the best tri-tip I've ever cooked and I cook a lot of tri-tip. Very good smoke flavor very very clean they just hits you real nicely.

Cook too low and slow at 150 degrees for 1 hour then 180 degrees for 1hour. bump it up to 220 until it was shy of 10 degrees before my doneness then threw it into my infrared smoker and turn it up to 700 plus degrees.

Very tender and juicy

I must agree...your pellet pooper method for TT is very hard to beat!

Back