My first comp.

SpicemanJames

Knows what a fatty is.
I will be headed to my first IBCA cook off at Irving Elks Lodge in Irving, Tx. Feb. 21. Is anyone going to be at that one?

I don't mind at all, part of me doing this is to meet more people and try and grow my company.:grin: I should be next to Talk Texan BBQ My team is Clifco Spice Sales. And thank you BBQ MAFIA :thumb:

We competed at the Irving Elks Lodge for several years. It's a fun contest because it's so freaking red neck. The lodge itself is like stepping back in time with pictures of the old elk leaders on the walls. They have a dinner available, cooks breakfast, and a live band sometimes Fri night.

It's in a gravel parking lot, and it's TIGHT with the limited space, but it's a good time.

Good luck!

Sounds cool. I myself have never been to a cook off at all, so this will be a learning process for me on how it all works.

GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!!!

First time is always the most stressful, but proper planning, preparation, and practice will certainly help!!! Make a checklist for EVERYTHING you think that you MIGHT need, then check it at least twice! You won't use everything, but better to have stuff that you don't need than need stuff that you don't have! You can always whittle your list down after you compete a time or three.

Good luck in your first comp! Texas comps are great, we have at least an hour sometimes two in between turn ins so it makes for a great day spent cooking and hanging with friends. Make sure after your turn ins you share some samples with your neighbors to get some feedback and also to try some other Q. But most of all have fun!

I started my list last year and the closer I get the bigger the list gets. When you cook at home you have everything, and I'm just trying to think of everything I will need when we go out. I thought of asking if someone could post a list that they use to compare to my list to see if I am missing anything. I just know I'm going to get out there, find I have left something at home and be like :doh:

Hey spiceman, google competition BBQ checklist. There are several sites that have them available for print. Might help you.....?

Looks like the only things I didn't have are bug spray, zip-lock bags, and tools. Not sure why I need tools other than the fact you never know what's going to happen. I didn't think of bagging up the left overs people are always willing to take BBQ off your hands, all last summer while I was training myself on this smoker I had no problems finding people to eat the stuff.

Okay gathering up everything, I think we are going out tomorrow to make sure we get a good spot. I hope so see some of you guys out there, maybe give me some pointers. I still don't know the turn in times so guess I'll find out.

Back