My Custom Smoker Is a Charcoal Hog!!

You might could add a deflector in front on the exhausts on inside where heat n smoke had to go up n over to exit?

I ran two Thermoworks last week. One was at the grate and the temp was 240-250. The other was right over the water pan and was 200.

Willing to bet your door thermo is at least 100 degrees off if not more.. because the heat is going straight up and out.. and if i were you i would limit your air intake. even close the exhaust down some to tame that fire.. you should get a more accurate temp reading to as the heat isn't just going straight out the cooking chamber it is hanging around a little longer.. still shoot for thin blue smoke of course.. place lit coals on top of unlit coals and let the fire burn down.

Thing is, in order to maintain those temps, you need to keep using more fuel. I have never tested the temp over a water pan so not sure if 200 is good or not, and not sure if it was in long enough to reach max temp. Personally I don't like using water so much, but that is just me.
Dave

Willing to bet your door thermo is at least 100 degrees off if not more.. because the heat is going straight up and out.. and if i were you i would limit your air intake. even close the exhaust down some to tame that fire.. you should get a more accurate temp reading to as the heat isn't just going straight out the cooking chamber it is hanging around a little longer.. still shoot for thin blue smoke of course.. place lit coals on top of unlit coals and let the fire burn down.

Was going to suggest what you said, people get a little excited here when you talk about choking down the exhaust. I can't get my large spicewine to operate very well if I don't get the exhaust dialed in. And plus one on checking the gauges in boiling water, never hurts, I do it two or three times a year and find it may not be off a lot most of the time, sometimes they are off a lot.
Dave

Last edited:
How about lining the inside of the firebox with firebrick? I would think this would help out.

I did suggest that, but it would be expensive to line an almost complete 55 gal barrel with brick. It would also be kind of like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, it could be done, Buuuuut.
D

I get 6 hours with my charcoal basket filled and lit from one end (see link for pics of basket). I built the charcoal basket lift mechanism to control the heat better especially when coals begin to die out (see video). The stainless steel holds the heat better than regular steel but it does deform slightly when heated. My draft vent is as low on the bottom barrel as I could get it. I didn't want any heat escaping on its way up. I use lump coal for the extra heat. I am still dialing things in so no real advice except for modifying the charcoal basket so it can be raised closer to top barrel.

https://www.icloud.com/iphoto/proje...zb9Ztfrg;E0F0835C-D78E-4F32-A0CE-AC8FEC534DB6

Where did you get the custom smoker?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 76
Back