My Comp Experience (with some PRON)

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Terry
I know, this should probably go in the Comp forum, but it's more about our weekend and food than the competition itself. Plus, I'm a little scared to go there. Those people are so serious. Mods, move it if you have to...

So, I got invited to help out a friend at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo BBQ Cook Off that was held last weekend. Originally he asked me to help for Wednesday through Sunday, but I couldn't really take that much time off or be away from the family that long. He asked if I would be willing to do Friday and Saturday and I agreed. He'd get free help, and I'd get hands on experience from someone that has a lot of years of doing BBQ and to see what competition cooking is all about.

Along the way I learned that this was also going to be a big party sponsored by a company that the company he works does business with. Big party tent, two live bands, free food and drink for all the attendees. A lot more work / cooking than just doing a couple briskets / racks of ribs / chickens...

10612607_10203097183936533_9172270442033877861_n.jpg

So, I got there around 7:30 Friday morning. Unloaded the equipment I brought with me (knives, cutting boards, etc.). I got a tour of the three stick burners we would be using.

10647032_10203097183776529_6250322861108505306_n.jpg

Then, I was shown the fridge full of meat. We had 13 prime packers, 15 packages of SLC ribs (3 rack packages), two large bags of half chickens (a lot, I didn't count), another couple bags filled with a bunch of about 3 foot long links of sausage, two bags of beef fajita meat, and a bag of boneless, skinless whole (double) breast for chicken fajitas. He said he spent $1500 at the meat market he went to. Either he got a hell of a deal for buying in bulk, or I misunderstood and that was just for part of the meat.

DISCLAIMOR: I could be off on some of the numbers. A lot of beer was drank, and not much sleep, but it was a ton of meat.

Fridays turn in was beans and Chef's choice. The group that was there Wednesday night did all the prep work to get the beans started early Friday morning. They also peeled and boiled a ton of potatoes for potato salad. We got to work, chopping a lot of the other veggies to be added to the beans and salad. The beans got turned in around 1:30 (I think, time was a blur) and the potato salad mixed, into a 5 gallon bucket, and into the fridge. Sorry, no pictures, I meant to take more, but was either too busy or hands too dirty to grab phone to take one.

The Chef's choice was a Beef Short Rib Plate that my friend had been cooking all morning. Now, I know my plates only take 6 hours, but it wasn't my pit, my competition, and he was cooking slower. But I could tell they were fall apart tender when he pulled them off.

10659331_930588633636069_4013271174531801769_n.jpg

After they rested for a bit, he sliced the meat from the bones and tried cutting it to I think he said 30 bite sized chunks for judging.

10271562_930588713636061_2285237610777710485_n.jpg

He was able to fill the box and then we got to taste the scraps. It was very tender, flavorful, and was not dry which surprised me for cooking it that long. He had made a little Chimichurri sauce that he drizzled on top. Added a nice flavor to it.

1607078_930588620302737_7379284979572841293_n.jpg

After the beef ribs were turned in, it was time to cook for the night's party. All the fajita meat was thrown on, tortillas were wrapped and warmed, and Pico was made. And then the weather changed...

10670169_930588596969406_4758322230519319472_n.jpg

We didn't know how many people were going to show up with this drizzle that lasted until Saturday afternoon. But we had to cook like everyone was going to show.

Once we got the buffet stocked and people fed, it was time to start prepping the meat for Saturday. My friend doesn't trim the briskets. :twitch: I am not sure if that is the way he normally does or just this time. I so wanted to get rid of that hard yellow fat and thin down the cap. But... Briskets were on the pits by 10:30. They all looked good, but I had found this one that looked great (it had a really thick and even flat and great marbling) and he saw another that he liked, so he put those two in the sweet spot and we figured one of those two would be in our turn in box.

Next came the ribs and I got the honor of peeling the membrane cause I said I was experienced at doing it. Forty-five racks. I now hate peeling membranes. :tsk: While I was doing that, the rest were putting the dry rub on the chickens and the ribs as I got them peeled.

Around midnight, crowd and band had left, and all our work is done. Friend needed some rest before the early morning, so me and a buddy said we would watch the pits while he got 4 hours of sleep. We didn't have too many issues with the pits, but they definitely aren't as easy as my WSM. :biggrin1: Let the friend sleep until 5, walked him around to let him know where we were, and then crashed for a couple hours.

Back up at 9, and back at it. Briskets were cooking away, looking like meteors :)tsk:), time to throw the chickens on for the first turn in of the day and the ribs for the next. Also prepped some creamed corn for the party tonight.

Chickens are done. Well, I think they are over done, but he thinks they look great. A little sauce, a sear to seal, into a box and turned in. Sorry, no picture of the chicken.

Ribs were next. He sauced them with a little Stubb's, thinned with some beer and other spices. They looked pretty, and tasted good, but were a little over cooked. They were a little too fall off the bone and some of the outside was hard to cut through.

1472918_930588836969382_1382506644477738413_n.jpg

Finally, it was brisket time. Those two great briskets we had singled out? Over cooked and falling apart. We went through about eight of them trying to find turn in material. This was the best we ended up with:

1508128_930588863636046_8956953353260429347_n.jpg

After all that, you'd think it was time to relax. Nope, time to feed the party again. For the next several hours we were slicing. Out of ribs. Slice another three racks. Need more brisket. Slice another packer. Fill the pan with half chickens. It was a lot of work, but all the invitees were happy. And they should be. The music was great, the drinks were flowing, the food was delicious and the rain finally quit.

10715831_10204309458391594_1201325032_n.jpg

It may seem like I am complaining a lot throughout this post about the food. I did have to keep comments to myself at first. But after a while I realized that was his BBQ. Mine is a little different. Not meaning better, just different. It all tasted good, and everyone loved it, so I let it go. The company that sponsored him said they already wanted to do it again next year, but they would have to increase the budget next time. :twitch:

Yeah, if he invites me, I'd probably do it again... :biggrin1:

It's always an adventure cooking for the masses :twitch:. The food looks great. Cooking that much food is a good skillset to have and one many never acquire. Congrats on a good job.

Looks like you had a good time and got some different experience from the norm. I did a similar event last month and had a great time, no sleep. Had fun though.

Sounds like you had an unforgettable experience there Terry! They have changed the rules since I was last involved. You couldn't enter unless you stood on a extension of your trailer, no pits allowed where you could stand on the ground to run them.?! They had so many people wanting to enter that they really limited the field, Glad to see it relaxed so you don't have to be named Rockefeller to enter. Thanks for the post.....confirms my decision not to compete.

Sounds like a great weekend. I bet it was just weird cooking to someone else's style. I also really have no desire at this time to compete. I am very content in my back yard cooking for family and friends.

Congrats on what looked like a fun weekend, although also looks like a lot of hard work involved. Competing and catering all at the same time can be a overwhelming experience. You gained some experience and knowledge that you could not have paid for to get.

In reference to competing, I compete every time I fire up my UDS or the Kettle. I am competing with the last time I cooked, trying always to turn out a better cook than the last one. Since I am the main judge, I am ruthless with my critique. Seldom am I satisfied with the results, and think "I can do better than that". Gives me an incentive to try harder the next time. After all, that is the fun part of this obsession!

Have a Blessed day and thanks for your post and pictures for us to enjoy!

Omar

Sounds like you learned a lot...worked alot... and had much fun!!!

Thanks. I was surprised how much I drank, yet was still beyond sober. Seriously, I probably drank a case of Bud Light Friday afternoon / night, but the work sweated it out of me. By the time I went to sleep, I was just dog tired.

Mighty Fine post and pic's! I'm glad you did not post in Comp because it's to much more Folks advantage to see it here.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Thanks ! No disrespect to comp. They are their own birds and their for a reason. But Q Talk is my home. :wink:

Sounds like you had an unforgettable experience there Terry! They have changed the rules since I was last involved. You couldn't enter unless you stood on a extension of your trailer, no pits allowed where you could stand on the ground to run them.?! They had so many people wanting to enter that they really limited the field, Glad to see it relaxed so you don't have to be named Rockefeller to enter. Thanks for the post.....confirms my decision not to compete.

I guess it depends on who is running the tournament. This was Gulf Coast something or the other. All I know, and something I forgot to mention above was that there were 400+ teams entered. Not like this was a backyard tournament.

First thing I thought was I could never run something like this. But, if all I was doing was cooking for the comp? I could handle that...

Sounds like a great weekend. I bet it was just weird cooking to someone else's style. I also really have no desire at this time to compete. I am very content in my back yard cooking for family and friends.

Yeah, his style was the hardest mental part of the weekend. I am so much more used to cooking for the two of us or 20 or so people at the bar...

Congrats on what looked like a fun weekend, although also looks like a lot of hard work involved. Competing and catering all at the same time can be a overwhelming experience. You gained some experience and knowledge that you could not have paid for to get.

In reference to competing, I compete every time I fire up my UDS or the Kettle. I am competing with the last time I cooked, trying always to turn out a better cook than the last one. Since I am the main judge, I am ruthless with my critique. Seldom am I satisfied with the results, and think "I can do better than that". Gives me an incentive to try harder the next time. After all, that is the fun part of this obsession!

Have a Blessed day and thanks for your post and pictures for us to enjoy!

Omar

Omar, that's me to a tee. Last time I made spares for the bar, they were good, but not my best. Each time I want as good as or better than the last time. All my friends say they are great, but I am my own worst critic. After this, I am not competing against my friend, but I have set my personal standards a little higher and will be competing against myself a little more...

Thanks y'all for your comments...

Big effort mate, nothing like being in the deep end to learn some things.
Not easy cooking for a large group, you have my admiration

Great report, and looks like y'all had a great time. Frankly, that IS what competing is all about.

One thing to know about over-cooked brisket and particularly ribs, as it/they cool they firm up quite a bit. Having judged a LOT (and compete once in a while), I've seen many that I knew were perfect when they put it in the box but now it either wont bite from the bone or wont pull apart (they get tough)...

Anyway, glad you guys had a good time. I'll see if we cant post similar pics here in a few weeks after doing our first GBA contest and our first contest of any type since we last did MBN back in 2010.

Great recap and pictures.

It is amazing how little sleep you need when you are doing something you love doing. After my first comp I got through it and loved every minute of it, even though the late afternoon i was a zombie.

And that was an amazing amount of food you guys put out. I would of had a lot of fun helping or being the head cook for that size event!

I can only imagine the effort that goes into to cooking for a crowd AND trying to turn in comp boxes. Sounds like you had some fun in the process. Thanks for the story and the pics. :thumb:

Back