My Bandera rusted out. Money's tight.. Weber to the rescue!

dbhost

Knows what a fatty is.
As much as I LOVED cooking on my Bandera, there were problems with bad smoke leakage, problems keeping the heat where I wanted it, and storage. That thing was a monstrosity and HARD to move around. So it was stored outside, in the elements, and thus was exposed to LOTS of salty air being as close to Galveston Bay as I am...

Now I can't live without BBQ, and I wasn't sure for a long time what I was going to do. So I made do with a Weber Smokey Joe. One of those little 14" table top jobs. It worked fine for grilling, actually way more than fine, it worked great for that, and I have cooked a TON of meals on that thing. But smoking was always a challenge. I would manage using the snake technique, but overall I could manage a half of a brisket, or one rack of ribs cut and side by side on the thing, so capacity was really not what I wanted.

My neighbor got one of those Walmart specific Weber Jumbo Joe Premium 22" kettle grills. Now I have been eyeballing one of the Original Premium models, but the added features either didn't offer any advantage in my way of seeing things such as that ash bucket thing instead of the pan. I was concerned about the shallower lower bowl part of the kettle, but after the last couple of years with my neighbor's successes on this grill, I just couldn't pass up the $68.00 price tag.

I am considering adding one of the hinged grates to facilitate tending the coals for long cooks, but with the techniques I have been using, just removing the food, and grate temporarily while the fire is tended, works. I guess we will see in the long run.

The doctor has me doing a low carb thing, not quite atkins, not quite paleo, but close to both of them. Really more like, Paleo with dairy... Anyway, I digress...

SO my plan is to do my cooks, so I can have everything done in one shot, on the weekend ready for the week.

With BOTH the Jumbo Joe Premium, and the Smokey Joe, my plan is to set up and get them both going, use the JJP, for smoking, and larger items like whole chickens, turkeys etc... and using the smokey joe for things like grilling Chicken Fajita, Bratwurst, Keilbasa, beef hot dogs, and misc cuts of beef and / or pork...

One item I was concerned with was the lack of a thermometer on the lid of the JJP. I was considering using one of these dual probe thermometers.

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Di...020&sr=1-20&keywords=Digital+food+thermometer

Would one of those work to catch both the ambient temp in the kettle as well as catch the temp inserted into the meat or should I just drill a hole and add a thermometer into the lid?

Yep that will work. I have one that has a unit I can take with me so I can monitor temps remotely. Works for both cooker temps and meat temps. With the kettle you can either fun the probes down the exhaust or install a grommet for the probes. Good luck with everything.

Yes, it will monitor two temps. I have a dual therm-pro and it works fine. I generally use one probe for grate temp and one for internal meat temp.

I've done all my smoking for decades on a 22.5" kettle. Only ever done one brisket, but I've done a ton of ribs and butts. This is my standard setup.
picture.php

I have a Thermoworks Dot with a food probe and a grate probe that I switch back and forth. I just let the cables sit on the lip under the lid. You will get a more accurate reading of the grate temp with an electronic thermo, the thermo in the lid only measures the temp there and will read high.

Aren’t those Jumbo Joes shallower than the reg Kettles.?

Yep. I haven't taken a tape measure to it, but there isn't a huge depth difference, maybe an inch or so, but it IS there...

It was a concern of mine, but honestly, the only area I can see a potential problem is ash buildup. The charcoal grate is the same, and at the same depth as a standard kettle, and I sweep my ash into the catch pan pretty frequently...

I will keep y'all posted on the results I get, but judging from my neighbor's results, he's cooked tons of briskets, ribs, pork butts, vennison backstraps etc... on it with no issues. The only issue I might have with it is the Jumbo Joe Premium seems a bit shorter overall height compared to a standard... And honestly, I might just take the legs to my brother in law and get him to cut / weld some extensions in to get the thing up another 8".

I have a JJ at my cabin but have been using standard kettles for year. The lack of depth makes a big difference to me but it may be because im use o the standard. Either way theyre both cooking machines!

I have a JJ at my cabin but have been using standard kettles for year. The lack of depth makes a big difference to me but it may be because im use o the standard. Either way theyre both cooking machines!

What difference have you noted performance wise? The few folks I have known that have had them seem to do fine with them. Both grilling, and BBQing... Only issue of note that I have seen is the ash volume fills up faster in the shallower bowl, reducing air flow. If you clean frequently like I do, shouldn't be an issue. Just rotate the sweeper a couple of times then return to your setting...

Back