Music City Nashville TN comp

This will be my first competition and honestly, the lack of communication with the event staff is ridiculous. My entry fee was processed but no email confirming my entry.

I wrote KCBSdirectly and gotthem and contest reps involved, to answer some basic questions Which didn;t really get answred. Sad, as a lot of people will not return, due to his lack of effort. He really shouldn't be involved.

It looks like that is the same weekend as their monthly flea market. It usually takes up the whole grounds, so I'm not sure where they will put the BBQ festival. They have to separate it somehow because admission the the flea market is free ($5 parking), but there will be an admission fee for the BBQ festival. The concert stage will probably be on the race track and seating in the grand stands.

There is admission to the BBQ fest. Go to Living Social and buy tickets, as they are half price, if need be. You get 8 with your team registration.

Actually, the contest is on the back side of the track, through gate 6. Attached is a diagram of it.

Attachments

• LayoutToTeams2 (1) (1).pdf
    549.7 KB · Views: 17
Thanks Mike.... I spoke to a guy today who said that we were registered since they cashed our check and said we would get the email today but as of yet.. nothing. We are doing the Backyard competition but dont see my name on the layout. Im going to be pissed if we dont get our place and the power that we payed for.

I spoke to some guy named "Tom" who is co-organizer a few moments ago and couldnt understand why I was concerned. I told him that I was looking at the layout and my team wasnt on the layout. I got the "I can promise you that you are in". I countered with, I trust but VERIFY do go ahead and tell me where my spot was. He didnt like that and that he was on the way to a surprise birthday party. I said that I needed this wrapped up tonight. I despise when folks dont follow through. I wont use this as a test of future contests to come but this is being poorly planned.

Thank you. I was told that I would have an email tonight... but if I dont.. I wear that email addy out tomorrow.

I will be competing in the Backyard Competition. This will also be my first BBQ competition. I have had some trouble getting some answers to a few questions. I sent them to the email address provided by the website but the address is either invalid or blocked. So I am going to ask my questions here and see if maybe someone can shed some light on things. Keep in mind my questions are in regards to the "Backyard Competition" specifically.

1. What will be the size of our area?
2. Does the meat inspection occur early Friday morning during check in? (I am trying to decide if I will have time for a quick brine depending on how early I can get my meat cleared.)
3. Are presentation boxes supplied?
4. Are the presentation boxes to include only lettuce/parsley along with the six portions?
5. Are we required to have fire extinguishers? If so what kind/size?
6. What will be the availability of water be like?
7. Is it possible that there will be any wifi access anywhere at the competition?
8. For the "Pork Butt/Shoulder" category are we allowed to cook only a pork butt and not a complete shoulder?

Donnie, you're in spot 74. See you there.

1. What will be the size of our area? I think you'll get a 20 X 25 spot.

5. Are we required to have fire extinguishers? If so what kind/size? Usually, yes. I have a regular size kitchen one. It's not the little ones, but it's not a huge, wall hanger either. About the size of a big water bottle and maybe 18 in tall?

If you are buying a new one to use at contests, get an "ABC" unit that is at least 10 pounds. I used to use a smaller one and got called out at some contests for it. No problems with the 10 pounder. I also get a state inspection tag on it as well. MOST contests don't care about that, but when they DO you will be forced to go buy a new one. Ask anyone who cooked the Sam's Region 5 contest in Chesapeake, VA about the fire marshal there.

Any place that specializes in fire extinguishers can probably do an inspection for you. My local place sells them and inspects them - and they tell me to buy one at Home Depot and have them inspect it, as it's less expensive than the units they sell for commercial buildings. (Again, MOST contests don't care about any of that, but the one time you don't have it...)

Looks like it is gonna be a hot one this weekend. I did some calling around and found a place in Nashville that rents event style misting fans. Not cheap as they are like $85 a day (price on the website is wrong) but I think worth it. I have no affiliation with this company as anything more than a new customer. If you are interested you can check them out at www.heavyartilleryrentals.com, phone number is 1-800-738-4310. One thing though they usually rent to companies not individuals so you need to be able to obtain a insurance statement that they would normally get from a company renting from them.

Congrats to MikeyB and No Pig Deal on the 2nd place Brisket and 5th in the McCormicks Grill Mates.

And tcv21 and Butt Hurt BBQ took 7th in the backyard ribs.

Congrats to our local brethren. I'd be curious to hear how things went at the new location and your overall impression.

I know some other brethren competed, but these were the only team names I saw mentioned.

Besides it being hotter than what is in the bowels of hell, it was a great first time for me and ButtHurt BBQ team. Everyone was so friendly and gave some very good advice. It only takes entering 1 time to get your shot group tightened up for the next competition. We were very proud of our 7th finish in ribs out of the 23 backyard teams that entered. Learned alot (its expensive as h#ll LOL) and will be attending more competitions. Biggest thing that I learned, dont be afraid to cook the way you are comfortable with.

Congrats to MikeyB and No Pig Deal on the 2nd place Brisket and 5th in the McCormicks Grill Mates.

And tcv21 and Butt Hurt BBQ took 7th in the backyard ribs.

Congrats to our local brethren. I'd be curious to hear how things went at the new location and your overall impression.

I know some other brethren competed, but these were the only team names I saw mentioned.

Thanks!!

Back