Moving beyond an UDS?

My concern on BGE's is that they seem to not really be big enough most of the time. A coworker recently made his second brisket and had to split the flat from the point to be able to fit inside. What size egg do you need to do a whole brisket?

Ceramics are usually more than capable to feed a backyard crowd.

On my Primo Junior with no extender grate.

15-17lb. whole packer brisket.
3 racks of ribs (4 is possible) with a rib rack.
2, 10lb. Pork butts (3-4 if creative).
2, Whole, bone-in legs of lamb.
Whole, bone-in beef shank (regardless of cooker I highly recommend. Very delicious!)
3 Lamb shoulders...

and that's just off the top of my head. I haven't done it, but interwebz pics of a Primo Junior cooking 2, 12lb whole turkeys are out there. While my Junior isn't the biggest ceramic, the oval shape adds a lot of capacity options as meat proteins tend to be oblong, not round.

When needing more grilling space I opt for a Kettle, but I assume most UDS owners do the same. A kettle also does double duty as a smoker.

Grabbed two barrels over the weekend (and found a axe throwing place that gives their scrap wood away free to any takers). Gonna do the burn outs this weekend. Ending up building one for me and getting a coworker into his first smoker.

Ended up on udsparts.com and just submitted an order for around $270, for odds and ends. Only overlap between our two orders was a set of wheels and a grate each.

I got long tube intakes, a side shelf, extra grate, and wheels. He got an exhaust, firebox, grate, bottle opener, lid hook, and wheels.

Planning on putting spaces for 3 racks in mine, one for a deflector and two for meats. Also going to set mine up upside down so that the Weber kettle lid fits properly. I'm going to guess that having the bottom be removable in mine will make construction a bit easier.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I wanted to only have one cooker, for smoking and grilling. it had to be affordable and easy to run.

so far Ive been extremely happy with this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil-KAMANDER-Charcoal-Kamado-Grill/55283713

very humid cooking environment
set it and forget it cooking
very low maintenance
can get extremely hot for searing and grilling

and at only $274 I dont believe it can be beat as far as value for the money.

A 22 inch grate will fit a 15-17lb brisket. If you either place chunks of wood under the middle, use empty beer can. Or make a hump grate. Which allows heat to the middle section of the brisket during the full cook. Unlike a can/wood.

Great idea about the hump grate. I've just recently made my smoker from a 28 gallon air compressor. Only 15" grates (x2) and only 3 smokes under my belt so looking to learn and to improvise.

I have a Large BGE, 2) Akorn Jr's, and Red Box smokers.
My 2) BUFORDS are my favorites and go to's for volume and party's.

Awesome! I hope you enjoy your pellet grill and your new UDS. Now you will have plenty of room to cook a whole bunch of food.

Check for air leaks. Maybe put a bright lantern inside of it at night and check for light

Back