Most impressive Weber to date

gtsum

Babbling Farker
So I ordered a Weber Summit Charcoal Kamado (or whatever it’s called now) last week and it was delivered today. For a minute I thought it was my Workhorse 1975 being delivered, but then I recalled it isn’t even in production yet:(

d8a07b5fda767458bca06a992e835457.jpg

Into the garage for assembly and from unpacking and putting it together, I’m honestly impressed with how solid it is! I have never been a fan of Weber assembly and construction as the wobbly legs drove me crazy...my performer is ok, but nothing special IMO. This one is much beefier. Heavy duty casters, and 24” sure seems a LOT bigger than a normal 22” kettle/performer. It’s going together incredibly easy to boot. Comparing to the kamados I’ve had in the past, this is likely a fair price for this thing I think. (Factoring in the table/cart and what a big Joe and cart would cost (or primo, bge etc)

I thought about a 26” Weber but I like the different cooking heights of the Summit, especially for direct grilled chicken for instance (higher up over the coals). Plus, I wanted a lid on a hinge as I’m not a big fan of the Weber kettle lid sliding over and always covering part of my cook surface. Plus the exhaust in the middle and able to open all the way, etc, etc. all appealed to me over the 26”:). This will be used strictly for grilling and two zone cooking and maybe wings with my vortex...all smoking will be on the Workhorse 1975 (at least that’s the idea anyways!). So we will see how it cooks and go from there!

5262573ca107b4f9960e4e1e29945aec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m really interested in seeing how this does for you. I am in the market for Kamado and plan on using it about the same way you are. I almost pulled the trigger on a Joe, but not in a hurry at the moment. Can give it a few months at least. I value your opinion, and look forward to the feedback you give on your new cooker (and the Workhorse also).

First cook was some chops and chicken thighs after an hour burn in or so. Quite good. Have to remember to burp it...it’s been awhile! Very easy to throttle temps down or up...very reactive to air flow changes, more so than my M1 (when that gets going grilling it is hard to reel it in). I know I said this before, but this feels like a premium weber product. The charcoal grate and cooking grates are far thicker and heavier than kettles. Not 1/4” SS grates like the M1, but these are stout. The hinge and lid are solid and it opens and closes easily. Not sure if it’s worth the money they cost, but I like it so far

6df2611573b76853ce40543c68096f21.jpg

f0f386418e3b72795244987d74744f3b.jpg

The deck is a mess. Moved the camp chef flat top over to the other side and my propane hose doesn’t reach now. The M1 is in no mans land, but that will get taken down and it’s going elsewhere. The Workhorse will go where the M1 is. I need to get a couple new fire mats also (speaking of, the fire mats at atbbq.com are the best ones I have seen. They are actually fire rated unlike others.

That is a beautiful and nice set up that comes with it. I can't imagine having 2 cookers ordered at once. That just seems pretty awesome. Congrats, now lets get that puppy dancing.

That is nice. I've been looking at those recently but can't really justify getting one. One of the guys I follow on YT uses one quite a bit in his cooking videos.

Are you getting rid of your M1?

That is nice. I've been looking at those recently but can't really justify getting one. One of the guys I follow on YT uses one quite a bit in his cooking videos.

Are you getting rid of your M1?

Im not sure yet. Either I’ll sell it or take it to the lake so I can burn sticks there if I feel like it. The M1 is a great do it all cooker, but for strictly grilling, the Weber offers far greater control on temps I’m finding. Did some raised direct chicken halves last night straight over the lump and it was fantastic (coals on the lower level where you would “smoke” at). I could never do that with the M1 (even with the second shelf) because the fire would inevitably get too hot and get out of control

09990a6975f590498f87e8c9ede8defe.jpg
00d41fc3ca92ed74641dd33a391afeae.jpg

Congrats, the chicken looks great.

I've been keeping on eye on these new Webers as well. They look like a great replacement for a kettle, but can do so much more.

The chicken looks very good. When I strictly grill, I don't try to keep my grill at any specific temp so temp control is not that important to me.

I would like to try one of these out but the price is kind of steep for something that my other cookers will do. I wish I could find a used one somewhere.

Back