Money muscle carving tips

So does everyone separate the money muscle after it reaches temp? I would think that keeping it attached would help render additional juices while it rest. Would it be better to cook a separate butt for chunks and pulled?

Its only been allowed for two seasons in KCBS I believe. So I am sure many do not use the technique but many did employ it after it became legal.

Can you separate the MM at 185-190 and put it back on the smoker in KCBS?? I didn't think you could do that..Maybe I misread the rules

The new rules say it can not be parted until cooked which has been clarified by KCBS to be 145 which I believe is a USDA standard.

Its only been allowed for two seasons in KCBS I believe. So I am sure many do not use the technique but many did employ it after it became legal.

So any experience on timing how long it takes the mm to come to temp to wrap how long once wrapped using this method resting time etc..... just trying to see from start to finish I know its not a science but just seeing how long does this method normally take

I may or may not use some or all of the methods mentioned here... :-D. J/K, I won't be "that team" and be uber vague.

I probe my butts into the MM or surrounding muscles, and start checking for probe tenderness at the same temp every week. Once you figure out how it should feel, you'll be able to hit it every time, but it's something that comes with practice.

I do not separate my MM at a certain temp and wrap apart from the rest of the butt, but that is just my process.

Last edited:
That was a great video. Thanks for that. I always struggle to harvest the tubes, I wish I could find one of someone doing that after the cook.

That was a great video. Thanks for that. I always struggle to harvest the tubes, I wish I could find one of someone doing that after the cook.

I took Rod Gray's class in Feb. of 2015, and he shows how to harvest tubes. We did not start out turning in tubes in 2015, but for some reason we started mid-season...our scores went haywire when we did. Some weeks they were great, and others they were terrible...tubes just seem finicky to me, and we never really figured them out fully.

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
perfect I may try a practice butt tomorrow before my comp on friday.... always good seeing a Columbia guy on he board I live downtown now but went to grew up in the NE went to Spring Valley

Nice I grew up on Hard Scrabble Road. Went to Cardinal Newman. Live all over the ne until the traffic got so bad. Then dipped out her to the woods.

I took Rod Gray's class in Feb. of 2015, and he shows how to harvest tubes. We did not start out turning in tubes in 2015, but for some reason we started mid-season...our scores went haywire when we did. Some weeks they were great, and others they were terrible...tubes just seem finicky to me, and we never really figured them out fully.

...that should say 2014; I was obviously not thinking clearly earlier today...:crazy:

Back