Midweek chicken and a fail

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
As the Meatloaf song goes "Two Outta Three Ain't Bad"

A simple midweek cook yesterday out on the Weber, actually in preparation for lunch or dinner today.

I thought I'd use the technique for the Buffalo Chicken Wings on these bone-in chicken breasts which was to dust them with flour/salt/baking powder to help crisp the skin. It worked great on the wings, why not try the same on the breasts? I actually had thoughts of trying this on the Thanksgiving turkey but passed on that experiment. It probably would have worked.

The breasts out on the Weber, indirect with the Slow N Sear. Rather than go with my usual PlowBoys, I decided to use the remaining Simon and Garfunkel seasoning from Thanksgiving -

Grilled for 45 -50 minutes, they were looking pretty crispy, though not as crisp as the wings had turned out. They'll be great for lunch or dinner tonight though -

As a bonus, I had some leftover bacon that needed to be grilled so that went onto the Weber after the chicken was done -

I was hoping to get a nice Fall snack of roasted chestnuts to go with Thursday Night Football. Every year I try these and almost every year results in disappointment. I see them in my grocery store, the song plays in my head and against my better judgment I buy them. Sort of like Charlie Brown thinking this is the year he's gonna kick that football.

Nope, not this year either. I think I let them sit too long out on the counter, since these had been planned for Thanksgiving. I 'X'ed them, this year soaked them for a bit in water to help create some steam (came from a few recommendations on the web) and placed them in the CI casserole out on the Weber. After about a half hour or so, they were looking pretty decent -

I even took the obligatory shot of warm chestnuts in a paper bag -

The yield from all these chestnuts? 2 decent ones. Sigh. All were rotten, dry or inedible. I think leaving them out on the counter for over a week wasn't the greatest of ideas. Some articles state to refrigerate them if not being used immediately.

Has anyone ever had good luck with roasting chestnuts? I'm about to give up on my attempts to master them.

Thanks for reading this post (and good luck getting that Meatloaf song out of your head). :blabla:

Regards,
-lunchman

In my experience, chestnuts are really hit or miss, unless you get them from a place upstream of a supermarket. When I lived in areas of the UK and then in New York, I was able to get them as reliably as peanuts, but in Texas, Washington, Kentucky and Louisiana have all been pretty bad for chestnuts and me.

Last year, I bought a couple of pounds from an Asian grocery that I was excited to find and got exactly 3 that didn't have something wrong with them. Desiccation looked to be the main problem, but some appeared to have insect damage even though I could find no evidence on the outside of the nut.

I get the feeling that they are much more sensitive to handling than any other type of nut, but I haven't done the homework to really look into how to evaluate them or treat them after they are picked...but now that you mention it, I don't have much going on the rest of the day.

Back