Memphis wings comp

sarth67

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Sarth67
So I have been pretty down about my Chicken wings since the Memphis BBQ comp. we had some problems right off the bat. I was expecting to compete poultry not wings. A different comp. I get there I am going to cook wings instead. (Autistic Mind needs a bit more time to process changes so small shut down)

I am using the online PDF for the rules and times. I was not shown the official book we got the day before so my cook was moved up with a turn in time 1.5 hours earlier. (brain struggling but i can do this)

I smoke my wings so I need some additional time but i was already prepping i can cut down the time in the smoker by an hour and still do this.

Wife is helping with the glaze we put on and while talking to her uncle, changes our recipe literally last second and adds some pineapple nectar. Great change I love the flavor BUT all that sweet dropped the heat level quite a bit.

Wings are cooked in the smoker and go on a webber for the final glaze
id1sakynKO3pFy8cnVCjlIOKjebZR8kVay8QDr0BAqF3KHAdo1dh0E3l_k8dZrN15-5F9hcxkmWPA_k61HW1nFNONgGaRWSCk_tiPOw2oimI-vVbDZe5Lul8hAq8d4RbrXfFZZHDsWXUfdfHwjLcnXyfBkTyfUvk1HNnb4axRqvSHmpjZ1G3XAQfJyJpDVDRRyoWLjyS93w0RXivpZuL8mJJupg_nS1GTc5VDwenMb9Hlnpz9i-IbP_uoZDtW3Pc8CfrIqozjW9TVV0FIM8m9aZ83194pHddAWsVNb1P_X99kgtKc5yMKB-CCrb4tzAA49Ifi3daE2p9Zl_GxdKhpFKjJOzE4joTR-1pjPa_iNAvTMrGGcHPHu_9EStLPdPh42gUouX2kVUf5VTzHNo2njJ_NWrEfLusqcemRIXmyQdfI8mLgkN51aM9FvLTLwSELOJrky6nIArCekDObOeAyELRLoB4koVgKw5zyOfqzZP_mYJF2RMGuBhiFx-4HsT3xtIVWPHLquWvv8cnKKSTyagywstChsCVpQTXqFNa3eW3PfiM_DD_sx9ODwreuaztN5Pt6FoIjhtB032IwKLdJZmuBsIy2KKv9iV-OQA=w711-h947-no

Now i am realizing we have great flavor but it is not hot enough. there is still a burn but not enough for a hot wings comp. Wife plates them and daughter and I walk them to the turn in tent. We get there to turn in and there is tin foil in the box :mad2: Ok we RUN back to our tent to re-plate we have time but it will be close. tin foil is whisked out and wings are just dumped back in the box... I could have done that at the turn in tent.
So I know we have taken a hit on taste and appearance, but hopes are still high the left over wings were consumed before I got back from turn in and everyone loved them, Possibly we have a chance. We go to awards ceremony. No call. I go back to check my scores as soon as they are posted. I placed 100 I am crushed I knew we had a few kinks but I had always placed in the top 50% in past years.

Well I get my scores today. Memphis scores on a 10 point system. all of my scores were 9's and 10's nothing lower. I had received at least 1 ten in each category and looking at the points spread 100'th place was not very far from the top 20 if I did not have the issues that I had.
So in conclusion Today I am pretty happy about my scores.

if you made it this far thank you for your patience.

Back