Memorial Day Brisket Cook

Well, had a tornado blow through very close. Had to shut it down. Finished the brisket and letting it rest. Will slice some tomorrow afternoon. Hope to have more pic's.

Glad you're safe Mike!
I've had to do the same thing. When it comes to tornadoes, the food can wait.

The tornado really threw me off my game plan. Brisket only had about less than an hour to go before probe tender. I shut the smoker down and finished in the oven. Managed to get this pic of the finished product. Will reheat and slice tonight. Hope to post. Brisket was jiggly.

2wn8fx2.jpg

Thanks! I tried to follow Aaron's method as close as possible with the equipment I have. The test will be the taste! ;D

Pulled this good piece of meat out of the fridge and re heated it whole in the oven:

2v3t2ys.jpg

Thinking it may have lost some moisture even though covered in the fridge for 20 hours.

It sliced very well but seemed to be a tad overdone. Also if I could have sliced it after a one hour rest it would have had more moisture me thinks.

There is a very thin smoke ring but a very good smoke taste to the meat.

Some other factors are weather and the rub used. The Wife said it was one of my best ever briskets except that it was hot with too much pepper. I'll need to tone that down next time.

Brother Smoke Ninja asked about the Party Q by BBQ Guru. That thing works great on a WSM once you learn how to use it.

Here's a pic of the flat slices. Going to slice the point soon.

97sc2p.jpg

I could also sharpen my knifes. ;D

No excuses. A good Pitmaster can adapt and overcome. The cook was good but not great. Got to try again!

Nice looking brisket, and a great cook story. I have cooked in rain, snow, and bitter cold, but never in a tornado. Glad you and your brisket both came out ok!

Nice brisket and cook considering the elements!

Had a Tornado blow through my back yard a couple years ago. Dropped two trees on my house, damaging my 1000 sq ft deck, roof of my home, damaged a bunch of neighbors homes, picked up my next door neighbors docked pontoon boat and deposited it on the other neighbors lawn across the road. Not quite an Oaklahoma twister but us upstate NY'ers don't see these too often so a bit unsettling to say the least.:shock: Insurance more than covered all of the damage (neighbor got tossed and hospitalized for a couple days, but no deaths thank god) and with the extra insurance money left over after repairs, I bought a smoker. From lemons, I made lemonade.....or more like thin blue smoke!!!:becky:

Back