THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NJBBQnewb

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Ryan
I’m charge of thanksgiving turkey this year and going to be feeding people with celiacs disease (need gluten free or they get sick). Does anyone know if Malcolm Reed’s bird brine would be safe for them? If not, does anyone else have an alternative brine they like to use? TIA!!

"Ingredients: Salt, sugar, whole peppercorns, garlic, onion, rosemary, bay leaves, sage, thyme, lemon peel."

Don't see why not? I don't imagine most brines including wheat products but if you want to be absolutely sure make your own with just use salt and water, or dry brine with just salt and then use herbs and spices as you see fit.

Malcolm answers many questions on his site but they may not be timely because I'm sure he is busy. Something of this importance I would guess would be answered relatively quickly though. Good luck.

I’m charge of thanksgiving turkey this year and going to be feeding people with celiacs disease (need gluten free or they get sick). Does anyone know if Malcolm Reed’s bird brine would be safe for them? If not, does anyone else have an alternative brine they like to use? TIA!!

I have a gluten allergy and to be safe I would confirm with Malcolm that's there's no risk of cross contamination (i.e. they package gluten containing items on the same line or area). One little spec of gluten will get me sick. To be safe, I would go with one that has the "gluten free" label. I've used Meat Church's with no issues or you can make your own.

Also, I would have a separate prep area, with separate utensils and dedicated counter space, scrub any cooking surfaces/grills you'll be using, etc. to minimize any risk of cross contamination. I know it's a pain to be that careful, but you'll have happy guest. And, if you let them know the precautions you took, they'll enjoy that turkey 100 times more feeling confident they won't get sick.

Last edited:
By the list of ingredients it looks good, but we don't know what transpired in mixing / Packaging.

Harvest Brine from Naturiffic is also a great Dry Brine; I've used it many times with exceptional results on poultry and pork.

If you're in a pinch and don't have time to order, try Patio Daddio's Wet Brines

Patio Daddio's Ultimate Thanksgiving Turkey Brine
Click Here For Link

Patio Daddio's Big Bird Bath
Click Here For Link

DRY Brines - Basic dry brine ratio: Rule of thumb: 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt per pound of meat. Sugars are sometimes added to help cut the sharpness of salt and to enhance flavor. Also add your aromatics and herbs.

Thanks everyone!! Appreciate all the suggestions. His ingredients are in fact GF, but not packaged in a GF facility, so not gonna chance it. Figures I have 2 bottles of it but I’ll use em some other time. Thanks again and happy thanksgiving to all!

Back