Maintaining temps on a offset ?

I think that you would benefit from focusing on building your coal bed from the very beginning and allowing that to be your primary heat source. Learn to look at the coal bed as what truly heats the pit, while an occasionally added wood split is there to maintain it and provide smoke. Good airflow over a hot coal bed is what will give your offset consistent temps and you won't have to worry about wether your wood splits are flaming enough to heat the pit, which also gives you the advantage of being able to cook with your firebox door shut, so that instead of the cooker running at what ever temps it feels like doing that day you'll have more control over the pit's temps by simply adjusting your intake damper. Establish the coal bed, feed it a split every so often to maintain it and let the pit run itself!:wink:
In an offset the coal bed is the "foundation" of it's fire and just like in a house, so goes the foundation,... so goes everything else!:grin:

I add a coal bed to start, 3/4 tower of lump.. I have had better luck with the procedure above the past 5 years than when I used lump as primary and a log as a supplement. I run thin blue to no smoke pretty much at all times.. Like above 1 burning split one dying split gives me 240-260 if I want higher its 2 fresh one unfresh.. It works for me.

I add a coal bed to start, 3/4 tower of lump.. I have had better luck with the procedure above the past 5 years than when I used lump as primary and a log as a supplement. I run thin blue to no smoke pretty much at all times.. Like above 1 burning split one dying split gives me 240-260 if I want higher its 2 fresh one unfresh.. It works for me.
If that's what works for you and you enjoy it then you should definitely keep doing it the same way.:thumb: There ain't no rules in BBQ and that's the way it will stay (as long as we keep the Federal Government out of it that is)! LOL!:razz:

When I had an offset, I would start with a tower of lump and add wood chunks or mini-logs and would just continue adding wood as it ran low (checked every hour or so). If the temps dropped, I would and some lump to get the temps back up and repeat.

the guy in that video is using the MM method of starting a fire with that bottle of lighter fluid.

I did not know that was you but I have seen him do it at a local competition and it must work pretty good as much as he wins. I have never tried lighter fluid because everyone says it gives the meat an off taste. Since he wins alot I guess that kind of debunks that theory. I might try it and see, it sure would make starting my fire easier.

Back