Looking for a Pickle Red Onion Recipe (BBQ Restaurant Style)

Kai Yaker

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kai
I was out on a long motorcycle ride yesterday and stopped at a remote burger joint who provided pickled red onions, jalapenos, and cucumbers as an appetizer. I love that stuff! I have pickled eggs in the past but never had much luck with the onions and other stuff that I have tried. A lot of BBQ locations will serve the pink pickled onions. I am looking for that type of recipe so I can hopefully duplicate it for onions, japs and cucumbers.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations that you provide!

Yaker

The Mexicans have a very simple method, fresh lime and optional to taste salt. Ready in 30 minutes, just cover fresh onion slices in fresh lime juice, a touch of salt or not. Also great with fresh radish slices.

I prefer the vinegar method to the lime juice method(mexican).

I have done both...usually V for bbq and LJ for barbacoa.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Pickled Red Onions[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]J. Kenji López-Alt[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]whole jalapeño [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]cut into ¼-inch rings[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]large[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]red onions finely sliced (about 1 quart)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]cup[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]distilled vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 teaspoons [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]kosher salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]cup[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]water[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]cup[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]sugar[/FONT]

P[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]lace jalapeño and onions in a medium mixing bowl. Heat vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in a small skillet over high heat, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil, then pour over onions. Press onions down with a spoon until submerged. Place a double layer of paper towels on top of onions and press down until completely saturated in liquid to keep onions submerged. Allow to sit until onions are softened and liquid has cooled, about 25 minutes. Onions will keep indefinitely in a sealed container in the refrigerator.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 QUART[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]These come out so good, and the color...
[/FONT]

YWXMupG.jpg

The simpler, the better. And because they are so good, small batches are better.

Is that garlic, jalapeno, and peppercorns in there. I looked on your site for the recipe, but couldn't find it.

Yes! correct on all three.

I was hoping you two would chime in for this one!

Not sure if they are restaurant style, but they are very easy, have the 'crunch' and delicious. These are not shelf stable, so must be stored in the fridge. Shelf life is 3 months or so but they won't last that long.

Pickled Red Onions – Refrigerator Style - Base recipe for 1 pint
1 red onion
1-1/2 cups white vinegar (or 1 cup white vinegar + 1/2 cup cider vinegar)
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon salt (2 teaspoons if you want a low salt version)

Optional Aromatics
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
2-3 cloves of garlic sliced
4 or more jalapeno slices
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon of hot red peppers

1. Peel and slice red onion into thin slices. Place into a pint sized mason jar, or other glass, plastic, or ceramic container with a sealable lid.
2. In a small saucepan stir together vinegar, sugar, and salt. Add in 1 or more additional optional flavorings. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat, allow to cool slightly.
3. Slowly pour mixture over onions in jar until full. Place the lid on and let cool to room temperature.
4. Place the lid on to seal and refrigerate.

Serving suggestion for 300 brats:
qL8YVFM.jpg

3tchQ9m.jpg

Yes sir! Thank you all. Just got back from fishing and in need of these for the weekend. I am going to give it a go today!

Thank you all again for what you do...help others to make better grub.

Yaker

Not sure if they are restaurant style, but they are very easy, have the 'crunch' and delicious. These are not shelf stable, so must be stored in the fridge. Shelf life is 3 months or so but they won't last that long.

1 red onion

Optional Aromatics
1 teaspoon cumin seeds

1. Peel and slice red onion into thin slices. Place into a pint sized mason jar, or other glass, plastic, or ceramic container with a sealable lid.
2. In a small saucepan stir together vinegar, sugar, and salt. Add in 1 or more additional optional flavorings. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat, allow to cool slightly.
3. Slowly pour mixture over onions in jar until full. Place the lid on and let cool to room temperature.

Serving suggestion for 300 brats:
qL8YVFM.jpg

3tchQ9m.jpg
Great. So how long before they're done, i.e. do they need to age?

For quick small batches - 1 onion or less.
50/50 mix of Red Wine Vinegar / Grenadine

Here they are on tacos
attachment.php

Thanks for sharing Wayne. Went shopping tonight, making some tomorrow morning.

1 red onion

Optional Aromatics
1 teaspoon cumin seeds

I have been making hot malt vinegar for my spray bottle lately, and have since found I REALLY enjoy the resulting pickled chiles. I could see onions working even better with their funk.

Back