THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrikeEagle

Knows what a fatty is.
Hello All!

I was wondering thru Lowes a few weeks ago and saw a new Bandera on display. After spending a few minutes checking it out, I was hooked. Figured I'd spend a little time learning about the 'rig' before I jumped in, and as a result, found this fine 'brotherhood'.

I've been grilling for well over 20 years and Q-ing for over 10 years, now. Currently, I have a NBBD, a 22" Weber and my original smoker, a Brinkmann bullet. Thanks to the generous guys that populated Rick Thread and Dave Lineback's old e-mail lists and assocated web sites, I learned a LOT about the art of the "Q" in a very short time. In fact, it was what I learned back then that led me to become a BBQ addict while living in Los Angeles. (While LA might not be as "Q" deprived as NYC, turst me when I tell you that I was the only person for MILES who would spend hours cooking ribs, or cooking up a batch of BBQ sauce. And, don't even bother trying to explain to the people there what a BBQ rub is!) MANY THANKS to any of the Brethren who were part of that teaching group!

Trying to do 'real' BBQ in So Cal is a bit of a challange. Imagine trying to find quality smoking wood when nobody even knows WHY someone would want to smoke meat. I finally found a good place and was introduced to Pecan and Oak as an option to Mesquete or Hickory. Then there were the callanges in finding good meat. (this was before Costco and Sam's had cryo-vac packages available.) The first time I tried to order a Pork Shoulder, or Boston Butt, the people at the meat counter looked at me like I was from another planet. But, I kept going and getting better because everone around LOVED the results of my efforts. (never try to "Q" just one rack of ribs when you live in a condo complex.)

Now I live in the middle of several hurndred acres of almond trees (yep, it's good smoking wood) and no longer have to worry about new neighbors calling the local fire department when I fire up the smoker.

Here's looking forward to more learning, more sharing, and making more friends!

Oh, and I'm still looking forward to getting that new Bandera. My plan is to be able to do a nice 4th of July Rib party at my place!

Welcome, and where abouts are you in Northern California? I am in the Bay Area on the peninsula.

Welcome aboard, bubba! Glad to hear there's more to eat in California than just tofu & sushi. Keep up the good work!

Welcome Jamie. You and your friends and family will enjoy your ribs on the 4th. You may want to throw on a couple of fatties and some hot links as well. It is great to be able to snack while you are cooking. The trimmings of the ribs work well too.

Welcome to the family bro. You did an excellent job explaining the trouble of smoking meat in LA. It is getting better, but I have to travel to find friut woods to use for flavor. Also I still get the funny looks from the neighbors when they see me drinking a beer, and smoking ribs for up to 5 hours. They of course grill theirs.

Where about in NoCal are you located?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back