Active Brisket Hold

fvrdfshrmn

Found some matches.
I know this is probably discussed elsewhere on this forum. I apologize for not knowing where to put it. I have smoked quite a bit but very few briskets due to being risk adverse. I haven't tried one on my offset yet. I have recently acquired a laboratory oven. Was going in the trash at work so I saved it. I want to try a long active hold (12-18hrs). Tested the oven the other night and the temperature held pretty tight at 142-146 F. I am wondering if I should set it just a bit higher since typically most ovens used for long holds swing twenty to thirty degrees. Just worried that the IT of brisket will fall too quickly. Anybody have experience with an oven similar to this.

I would set it and leave it close to 140, the temp won't fall as quickly as if it was on the counter or a cooler, keeping the moisture in will be the key so the low temp will stop rendering fat but can cause moisture to evaporate causing it to dry out. cover it

I leave most of my cooks (briskets, butts, beef ribs) at 155f overnight to serve for lunch. My oven doesn't keep it super stable, doesn't make a difference. Just remember to pull things early or they'll get a bit mushy or grainy. Whatever is resting overnight, I pull at 195

Thanks.

Thanks for response. I was thinking of the smoke trails bbq method. Foil boat until 190 to 195 or fat cap is rendered. Then wrap in butcher paper with tallow. Then in foil pan covered with little water, held until dinner. Or maybe take a little higher, maybe 200ish and let it vent until 155, then in foil pan and hold until dinner next day. I've been overthinking a bit. :decision:

take a little higher, maybe 200ish and let it vent until 155, then in foil pan and hold until :

I find this works best for me. I go for almost probe tender (usually around 198 +/- 2) then cool, wrap in paper with tallow then rest on counter till under 165 then hold till eating.

Pulling at 192-195 then wrapping and straight into the hold can end making it mushy.

I know this is probably discussed elsewhere on this forum. I apologize for not knowing where to put it. I have smoked quite a bit but very few briskets due to being risk adverse. I haven't tried one on my offset yet. I have recently acquired a laboratory oven. Was going in the trash at work so I saved it. I want to try a long active hold (12-18hrs). Tested the oven the other night and the temperature held pretty tight at 142-146 F. I am wondering if I should set it just a bit higher since typically most ovens used for long holds swing twenty to thirty degrees. Just worried that the IT of brisket will fall too quickly. Anybody have experience with an oven similar to this.

I just did this & it came out great.
I'm going to create a new thread called Brisket success and outline what I did.
Good luck!
JD

I've seen somebody have issues with the meat being overdone if they don't let the meat cool down enough before resting in the oven.

It makes sense that putting a big hot piece of meat into a warm for hours oven wouldn't go very well.

I've seen somebody have issues with the meat being overdone if they don't let the meat cool down enough before resting in the oven.

It makes sense that putting a big hot piece of meat into a warm for hours oven wouldn't go very well.

It cooled down enough during the wrapping process. I took my time. Also, as I mentioned, I didn't take the beef to probe tender. The flat was at 180 and the point was at 185 when I pulled them from the smoke.

There wasn't a hint of being over cooked at all.

I was pleasantly surprised at how stable my oven maintained 150.
See my other thread for details.
JD

Back