THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple of posts mentioned me and that I would chime in.

As for comparing the vertical offset to the cabinet, they are apples and oranges. If you like cooking in a WSM, the cabinet is the same, just on steroids. If you like playing with fires, the offset is the way to go. Just figure out which way you want to go first. It's an expensive learning lesson if you don't.

As for used charcoal, I do it about 95% of the time. I rake the old coals around to get the ashes off, dump in a little new and mix it up, place my wood chunks, and cover it up with the mix. I probably wouldn't do that if I needed to smoke for more than 24 hours, but I have gone for 18 plus hours that way with no issues.

A couple of posts mentioned me and that I would chime in.

As for comparing the vertical offset to the cabinet, they are apples and oranges. If you like cooking in a WSM, the cabinet is the same, just on steroids. If you like playing with fires, the offset is the way to go. Just figure out which way you want to go first. It's an expensive learning lesson if you don't.

As for used charcoal, I do it about 95% of the time. I rake the old coals around to get the ashes off, dump in a little new and mix it up, place my wood chunks, and cover it up with the mix. I probably wouldn't do that if I needed to smoke for more than 24 hours, but I have gone for 18 plus hours that way with no issues.

I would think the stick burner would have a slight edge on smoke flavor and the cabinet smoker would have an advantage on capacity and sleep. If sleep's more important than 90% of the smoke flavor would probably make the cabinet a better option for most people.

You have to stay-up for 16 hours to work an offset. You get to go to bed and take a nap with a cabinet smoker. If you like to nap a lot, offset's will be a challenge to your lifestyle.

I'm ALL About some Sleep!!!!!

Hence my IVC order.

I will however someday add an offset to the collection for that perfect smokey cook when I have time.

Actually, to me, my last cook on my cabinet was too much smokey flavor. I am still playing around and learning her. I'll make some adjustments next time and get the flavor dialed in...

Actually, to me, my last cook on my cabinet was too much smokey flavor. I am still playing around and learning her. I'll make some adjustments next time and get the flavor dialed in...
I've been there for sure... a real learning curve exists when moving from an offset to a cabinet.

As stated previously, I'm learning to use less wood. The inherent lower combustion temperature (and insulation) that allows for longer cooks in a cabinet means the wood is not burning as clean either. I wouldn't call it bad smoke but you'll find a little goes a long way. This is why I strive to leave all vents wide open and control temps with fire size. This also means I'm periodically having to add fuel and or wood but I find that to be part of the fun. YMMV :thumb:

Quick highjack.... Can anyone ID this wood pile?? What type of tree??

40B26281-32D1-4CB5-A060-55321E94D35E_zpssvhgzqo8.jpg

Split it up so it will dry faster. If there is any soft or rotten spots throw them away. When it is seasoned it is some great smoking wood.

I've got some other wood that evidently was a large tree that fell and was rotting from the inside but some of the pieces still have decent wood in between the middle where it was rotten and the outside bark. Should I not use any of that for smoking wood and just for fire pit would?

I've got some other wood that evidently was a large tree that fell and was rotting from the inside but some of the pieces still have decent wood in between the middle where it was rotten and the outside bark. Should I not use any of that for smoking wood and just for fire pit would?
I would not smoke with any of the soft decayed wood.

Made that drive to Willis, TX this morning and picked up my smoker. Going to season it in the morning and hopefully start pulling off some BBQ on a nice hot Sunday. Chris and Amber could not have been nicer. It feels like I have run a marathon and they are there at the finish line. What a great day.

Made that drive to Willis, TX this morning and picked up my smoker. Going to season it in the morning and hopefully start pulling off some BBQ on a nice hot Sunday. Chris and Amber could not have been nicer. It feels like I have run a marathon and they are there at the finish line. What a great day.

Congrats!!!!

just when i think this thread is almost done one of you lucky farkers gets another one and makes me want one again. congrats!

Back