Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

chingador
"I talked to Chris yesterday. Really good guy and a straight shooter. Just waiting on a check to arrive will be placing the order as soon as it arrives. Mind made up. Mini with deflector, 2 ss handles, 8" wheels and I decided that I will also go with the T plates. I forgot to talk to Chris about it but I do want the doors to open the opposite way if possible. Cannot wait."

I have a mini in production with the door opening the opposite direction, but valve on the original side. Amber called before they put it in production to make sure where I wanted the valve. The door change cost an additional $$$, but nt much. I will post pictures as soon as it arrives.

BOOM!!! Order placed:

Mini insulated
2 SS handles
Deflector plate
8" locking wheels
T Plates
Doors open opposite direction. plumbing the same.

Now the 9 or so week wait begins.

I got up early up yesterday to get a couple of pork butts done for a family going through medical issues. So I wheeled the LSG out of the metal building to the driveway to get all set up. There is a slight decline ramp coming from the metal building to the drive. Usually no problem UNTIL I found out that the side table can actually slide off. I guess I was at the right angle for it to slide off the hinges. But don't worry, MY BIG TOE broke the fall. Yep, if I wasn't wide awake before that, I sure was now. Cook came out perfect and made up some smoked baked beans, smoked bacon mac-n-cheese and pig candy.
A friend of mine made up this sign when I was in negotiation of opening up my own bbq joint (didn't happen-but for the best). I think it's a little too big to hang on the smoker..... But I have a perfect spot in my metal building "man cave" to hang it up.

Just a note for all soon to be owners. Everytime I use mine I love it better and better. I use more wood spread through out the maze. Most time when I cook for people they want them noon next day so I cook all night. You can leave this thing alone like an electric smoker. I got to help a buddy cook for some high up nascar folks that was at a dirt race. A bunch of folks were really checking out this thing. They were impressed more with this than they were with the S.P. rotating the ribs. Course I did have about 6 whole rib eyes on at the time. Ya are gonna love this smoker.

This thread alone is making money for LSG because I put an order in a week or so ago. Went with the mini with many of the popular options stated previously. My patio is plenty big to go regular, however I'm never feeding an army. This might bite me some day but I will always have my WSM and my kettle around just in case.

Thanks to all the brothers giving great feedback in this thread and thanks to Jason for allowing me to see his rig in person.

The wait begins!
Chris

GrillsGoneWild,

My side table has a small screw just inside the hinge, on the outer wall, that holds a nut against the inner end of the hinge, so it can't side out unless you remove the screw/nut.

I am out of town but can take a pic of it late next week. It was installed by LSG at the factory, but my smoker was made in March or April of 2015 (Smokin' Greene's old smoker) so I am wondering if it was a running change.

cover

I just got my cover in for my lsg cabinet and it fits perfectly. It came from vinylcoveringsbymel.com. She had it done in about 3 weeks. It only cost $80 plus shipping. She was super fast on getting back with me with questions. Check her out if you are in the need of a cover.

Attachments

• 20150903_142814.jpg
    20150903_142814.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 440
The Mini Is Here! The Mini Is Here!! The Mini Is Here!!!

My mini was shipped 9/1 6:52 PM and she arrived yesterday 9/3 at 11 am. I plan on getting her seasoned and cooking this weekend. I will get some picutres posted.

Got mine ordered this week. I am an old stick burner so it will be nice to be able to do ranch work while she is cooking!

Hey y'all, Kaptain Kadian is having a hard time with his LSGVIS. Would y'all vets chime in on his thread with experiences and suggestions? I am particularly interested also as I have 2 of these units on order.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217238

Yeah, I would love to hear if any other of you guys are experiencing this, especially those of you with the Mini. I am sure Chris will get this taken care of though.

Yeah, I would love to hear if any other of you guys are experiencing this, especially those of you with the Mini. I am sure Chris will get this taken care of though.

I have not had any issues with door popping open. My smoker is using the older style gaskets and doesnt provide such a tight seal.

I am sure a simple solution will appear.

Mine still has the old style gasket as well. How are you guys shutting it down if you still have charcoal left in the box? I don't like scooping the hot coals out. It is rediciculously hot to do that

Are you using the T plates ? I've never had any issues with mine except adjusting cook door latch. I've never adjusted the firebox latch yet. I cook without water 90% of the time. The part that the screw goes into on the latch, I could see needing to be upgraded sometime. I was afraid it would strip out when adjusting. That might be your problem. It may seem tight but when you shut it it loosens up. I bet they will make it right.

Mine still has the old style gasket as well. How are you guys shutting it down if you still have charcoal left in the box? I don't like scooping the hot coals out. It is rediciculously hot to do that

Shut off the inlet and outlet, while making sure the doors are securely closed. That will stop the airflow and the fire will die out.

I am not running t plates.

You don't necessarily need to run t plates, but it helps control the fire from getting too big by reducing the amount of coals it can light at one time. Go get you some fire bricks and make a maze or horseshoe next time you cook.

Did you get the heat deflector? This would also help in making sure you don't have grease fires to keep the water pan a little cooler than with direct flames from underneath it.

Minni

Minni is in her place. I sprayed her with cooking oil. Built a fire with 1/2 chimney of charcoal + about a 2# of charcoal and a few mesquite chunks in the firebox at 2:30 Sunday. 10 pm (still hot) Sunday I loaded the firebox with charcoal and apple and hickory chunks. Set the guru at 225* threw on 2 pork butts and went to bed. We had pulled pork sandwiches for lunch Monday. At 2:30 Monday afternoon (added a few more coal but, I don't think I needed to, Tuesday morning the cooking chamber was still warm temp read 150*), I loaded Minni with 8 whole chickens left the guru at 225* (should have cooked at a higher temp). Everything went smooth and tasted great.

After using the full size and the mini, I understand the school of thought that the full size is worth the minimal price increase, but I made the right decision to get the mini. My kids are not too far from being off on their own(or are they ever on their own?), and I will cooking mainly for the wife and I. The mini is easier to move around, and the firebox and ash-pan are lighter, which will be nice as I get older. All in all, I give the Mini a 5 star rating.

View attachment 116232

Last edited:
Minni is in her place. I sprayed her with cooking oil. Built a fire with 1/2 chimney of charcoal + about a 2# of charcoal and a few mesquite chunks in the firebox at 2:30 Sunday. 10 pm (still hot) Sunday I loaded the firebox with charcoal and apple and hickory chunks. Set the guru at 225* threw on 2 pork butts and went to bed. We had pulled pork sandwiches for lunch Monday. At 2:30 Monday afternoon (added a few more coal but, I don't think I needed to, Tuesday morning the cooking chamber was still warm temp read 150*), I loaded Minni with 8 whole chickens left the guru at 225* (should have cooked at a higher temp). Everything went smooth and tasted great.

After using the full size and the mini, I understand the school of thought that the full size is worth the minimal price increase, but I made the right decision to get the mini. My kids are not too far from being off on their own(or are they ever on their own?), and I will cooking mainly for the wife and I. The mini is easier to move around, and the firebox and ash-pan are lighter, which will be nice as I get older. All in all, I give the Mini a 5 star rating.

The mini looks great! I like that they call something that will hold 8 briskets a mini.:heh: I can understand not getting the big one. My youngest just started college and now it's just me and the wife.

Back