Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Question for JoSal73

We also have dual 2" ball valves on our LSG, I am assuming we run them identically? So 1/8 of the way cracked on both, etc. or do you leave both open til 40-50 deg from target temp, then close one off completely and just run one valve at 1/8 open kind of thing?

Are you using the second ball valve just for getting the pit up to temp quicker?
Or do you utilize it as a second airflow source (using both valves) during the cook as well?

Thx!
Jason

So far, I've only used it to get up to temp much faster. Once it's near target temp, I close off the rear one completely and just fine tune with the one nearest to me.

I suppose you could use both to fine tune, but once up to temp it stays there rock solid...so no need IMO.

Great choice! I have Smokin' Greene's LSG insulated cabinet, the big/standard one, and it is FANTASTIC!

Probably one of the best smokers I have used so far.

Question for you...why the mini? For about $300-400 you can have one that's almost twice the size.

T plates can collapse down a bit and take up less room, but firebricks offer vastly improved heat retention and insulation from one side of the charcoal maze to the other.

I would skip the T plates and their additional cost if it was me and just use firebricks.

Put the T plate money towards the cost of the side shelf option. That's something I use ALOT and would be greatly missed!

Your going to love the smoker!

Ten weeks will go like nothing... Well, compared to 17 weeks. :mrgreen:

I keep checking my email to see if I got an email saying mine is complete. I am currently planning on driving down next Monday to pick it up...

Thanks JoSal73, I did exactly that on my cook this weekend.

Started at 2:10pm with 8 lbs of Stubbs briquettes and six fist size pieces of hickory. Both valves wide open until 220 deg, then shut the rear off completely and closed the front one down about 1/3 open. Smoker ran at 250 deg rock solid for the next 8 hours.

Then my cook was done, so I opened the front valve all the way at around 10pm.
Cooker got to 350 deg within 20 mins and I went to bed.
Got up at 8am and cooker was still 180 degrees!

I figure that's about a total of 15 hours of usable burn time, at 225-250, on 8lbs of briquettes!
Amazing!

I used to go thru a full 20lb bag of lump and at least 20lbs of splits on each 12-15 hour brisket cook on my old offset (still makes fabulous Q! Nothing like that stickburner taste!)
This was about $30-35 in just fuel per cook on my stickburner.

On this new LSG insulated cabinet I figure my fuel cost was ~$4 for the briquettes (half of a 15 lb bag of Stubbs. Bag was $7.89 at Walmart) and ~$2 in wood.

That's a $6 total fuel cost for a 12-15 hour cook! That's also better than the advertised 1lb per hour consumption by LSG. My cook used about 2/3 lb of briquettes per hour at 250 deg.

Simply unbelievable! VERY happy with this smoker!

Heh... I hit post on the reply above and my cell phone rang from an unknown number. Hello Chris! Fabrication will be complete today and then it goes to the paint house. He says that barring any issues, it could be done by this weekend. My buddy that has the trailer and that is going to help me will be out of town for the weekend celebrating his GF's birthday. So.... Looks like we will be driving down Monday to get it... :mrgreen:

Question for you...why the mini? For about $300-400 you can have one that's almost twice the size.

I've gone back and forth. I don't really have the room for the big one, but I totally agree with the price/value of going big. The mini is already 2x the size of my UDS (and much easier to manage/access grates etc), so it will feel huge. But I do have that fear that as soon as I get the mini i'll have some reason to need all 2600 sq. in. of the normal one...

Cost is also a thing, an extra $400 is still $400, its no small chunk especially when I'm already spending $2200.

Maybe I can get some contributions from friends with the promise of free 'que forever...

Thooey,

Just rent a 5x9 ramp trailer from uhaul! Probably cost you $60-100 tops :) Worked fantastic for my LSG vertical insulated, rolls up and down, no issues! Just make sure you have couple of guys to help you. I am sure loading it up at Lonestar Grillz while picking it up will be no issue, they have plenty of helpers!

Yeah, I been reminding all my friends and others that "owe me" that I will need some help moving this thing. :mrgreen:

Tags2011,

I understand $400 is $400, but ammortize that over your lifetime (it IS a lifetime smoker!) and it is pennies a day. There is a BIG difference in room between the mini and the standard.

You might think meat only, but when you start spreadin out ABT's, chicken on the bottom rack, a Brisket or two, some ribs and a butt or two, some ears of corn, etc you may quickly be out of room.

Add to that any of your buddies who want to buy and throw on a butt or a brisket on for themselves during the cook, since the smoker is fired up anyway (my friends always bring over stuff for me to "add to the pile"!) you may find yourself wishing for a bigger smoker.

I am not knocking the mini's size in any way, shape, or form!
I am just saying that most folks very quickly want more space, especially if it is their only smoker.

You will be happy with the performance and the Q whichever way you go!

Good points harley... also, my wife is now buying in to the notion that the big one is more cost effective, which I can't argue with.

What's your normal load look like on the full size? I just wonder how often I would max really use the space, unless I start catering or cooking for more family/charity functions.

Txags2011,

I usually cook a brisket, a pork butt, chicken thighs, and ABT's, corn, veggies of some sort on my old heavy offset stickburner, and it was a TIGHT fit for just the brisket and butt, so I was constantly staggering meats, moving things around, etc. Frustrating and not productive.

I bought the standard LSG insulated cabinet so that I could smoke without tending a fire, and so I would never have to juggle my food around and stagger my cooks, etc.

So my plan is now to simply add/remove each meat as is needed and as they finish.
Much simpler!

The standard LSG insulated has four racks, 6" apart. I put it to the test yesterday.

I put the ABT's, veggies, etc on the top shelf, it took up about half to 3/4 of the rack, nicely spaced out.

Then the brisket was on the next shelf down, took up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the rack, depening upon the size (this one was a 12 lb but a 16lb would take up more room) And usually my friend throws his brisket or pork butt on there, as was the case, so this second shelf was about 2/3 full with briskets spaced out nicely

Pork butt on the 3rd shelf...lots of extra room here, room for expansion or other folks stuff, etc. My buddy threw a pork butt and 2 racks of ribs on here. If I did ribs, I would put them on this shelf as well.

Chicken thighs on the bottom shelf. I did 18 or so, and there was plenty of room left!

So I used all four shelves, but with ample space between everything, and room for expansion if I need it (or my friends continue to bring their meat, which is about 50% most of the time!)

I never liked crowding my meat, I prefer to space everything out nicely. With this much room I may add a half pan of beans, cheese grits, etc

And if I choose I can now cook all my meats in disposable pans. Great to have options versus not enough room, etc.

And around the holidays I will be smoking a dozen or so small turkeys for my close customers and friends, so that will fill the smoker at 4 turkeys per rack x 4 racks.

Keep in mind that there will be times in the future where I will fire up the smoker just to have 2 racks of spares inside the entire smoker!

But they will turn out great and the smoker will just chugg along, just the same as when it is loaded down. It will come up to temp faster with less cool meat load, but will still work exactly the same. And will probably use less fuel as well.

You don't have to fill the entire firebox, you can just use a small amount of briquettes. The smoker doesnt care! I used 7-8 lbs of Stubbs (1/2 the 15 lb. bag)
which took up about 1/4 of the firebox, and it stayed at 225 for about 8 hours, then burned another 3 hours or so at 350 when I opened the ball valve wide open to use up the rest of the fuel, then temp started to drop over the next 2 hours as it ran out of fuel. Temp still showed 165, 16 hours later! Smoker is VERY well insulated!

Sorry to be a bit long winded, but hopefully I answered some of your questions!

Is there an issue with putting out the fire and re-using charcoal in the LSGs? Just seems odd to see guys opening up the intakes and burning off the charcoal.:confused:

No issue with reusing the unburned briquettes, I just wanted to season the smoker a bit after the cook so I opened the valve up til she burned out.

As I learn the pit and get more cooks under my belt on it there shouldn't be many briquettes left to save!

Same thing with my offset stickburner...I used to have some half burned splits left over, just a few small pieces. It didn't pay to save them as it was messy to try to store them without leaving black soot all over everything.

Txags2011,

My intent was not to change your mind, but rather to let you know that I was in the same boat your are in at one time, trying to make a decision on which smoker to get, what size I thought I needed, etc.

In the end I figured it couldnt hurt to get the larger of the two sizes, as there is no real difference except $400 and the added space needed to store it. And to be honest, I am very glad I went with the larger unit!

I faced the same dilema once when I was sizing the compressor for my automotive hobby shop...was going to go with what I thought was the right size for my needs, but decided at the last minute to go with the larger tank and larger CFM compressor.
Same result...glad I did! My buddy went with the smaller one that I was going to get, and he has regretted that purchase ever since.

Every time I fire up my big Econoline pressure pot media blaster which uses a minumum of 50 CFM @ 80psi I am reminded of just how close I came to making the wrong decision!

I just needed some external push! I hate when I cheap out on these decisions also, the more I've thought about the big one the more I love the idea of the space. And I already have people who would totally want to throw their stuff on when I fire it up.

Pretty sure I'll be doing the big one now though. It's just hard to resist the benefits.

Something I learned here was to do lots of research and find the pit that meets your needs. And then buy the next size larger.

Hey, I am going from a WSM to an LSG Offset vertical, the biggest they make. The wife keeps asking why I "need" a smoker that big. My response is it is not a need, it's a want. My thought is that unless I hit the lottery, quit my day job, and decide to go commercial, I will never need a larger pit. I will never sit back and go "I wish I had a smaller pit"...

Another phrase I learned here was "pay once, cry once"... Don't spend all this money and then regret it down the line...

Do what you feel is best, but don't leave yourself wanting for more later...

Has anyone used the large or the mini at a comp, I am looking at them but I am curious if they are heavy because it is only me and my wife on the team.

There is a facebook page for the Lonestar Grillz and I've seen posts from teams using the large one and winning. If you are worried about loading/unloading from a trailer with just you and your wife, buy a $200 wench to help out.

I can comment on the standard insulated vertical. It weighs around 700-800 lbs. It can be rolled fairly easily on level smooth concrete, but will be difficult on anything that's not extremely smooth and hard surface like concrete. And if there is some incline, that will be tougher yet. Not to stereotype anyone, but it could be a real beast for folks that aren't very strong.

If you were wanting to load, unload, move it around frequently, etc then it could be an issue. The mini is probably more portable due to its smaller size and weight.

I would hate to roll the standard size up and down a trailer ramp, or fight it while rolling it over grass, gravel, etc.

An electric winch might be an option depending upon your trailer.

Back