THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
Since reading about the big three BBQ joints in Lockhart, TX, I've wanted to go there and check them out. A KC boy doesn't have many opportunities to drive down that way, though. Long and short, recently I flew into Austin to visit my girlfriend (in training down there for a job up here) and we went down to San Antonio for the weekend.

So, on the way back, we swung by Lockhart and had lunch at Black's BBQ. I chose Black's because I was really only interested in trying some classic Texas brisket, and the many dozens of reviews I read for the Lockhart joints pointed toward Black's for brisket.

I was not disappointed in the brisket. It was damn good. I had three slices of "fat side" (sliced point) and a slice of "regular" (sliced flat.) It was very juicy and very flavorful cow boob. I've cooked many briskets with that level of moisture, tenderness, and flavor, but I've cooked many stinkers too. I was impressed that a bbq joint (from my experience as well as the reviews) consistently puts out that quality brisket.

Plus, I really wanted the t-shirt. :)

The sides were OK. The sausage was OK. The girlfriend got a beef rib that was bigger than her car and loved it.

On a side note, I was a little disappointed that the guy cutting the brisket on the block had no idea what "point" and "flat" meant. Oh well.

It was a fun trip. I got great brisket. And I got a cool t-shirt.

BlacksBBQ.jpg

BlacksBrisket.jpg

On a side note, I was a little disappointed that the guy cutting the brisket on the block had no idea what "point" and "flat" meant. Oh well.

ive noticed that at the few local places ive tried here...i say i want point slices and they just look at me like my face just fell off lol

When I took a trip to Lockhart two years ago, I felt I had entered the holy land. In fact, I had.

Yep, Blacks is my favorite in Lockhart and you described the food well. It's a shame you didn't hit Muellers in Taylor Tx. It's great! If you get another chance you gotta hit that place.

Blacks is my favorite in Lockhart for sure. 2nd for me is Smitty's. Kreutz is a nice place but the food, while good is a hair behind the others. Yeah, most old timers in Texas don't really speak in terms of flat and point when it comes to brisket. They refer it to the fatty side, or deckel and lean side. Doesn't mean that they don't know their way around a brisket.

Good point about the terminology (pun intended.) I'd really like to check out Mueller's sometime - especially after seeing that video someone posted a while back.

I actually liked Kruez a little better overall, especially for the shoulder clod, pork chop and sausage. That said, I ain't complaining about any of 'em - any day I could eat at any of those spots would be a great day. I'd like to try Chisolm Trail sometime - apparently that's where the locals like to go, but I wonder if it's more about avoiding tourists than the food.

The cobbler at Blacks is great and yeah, they have the coolest BBQ joint t-shirt. I wear mine all the time.

My Wife and I made a point to head to Lockhart after we landed in Austin. We thought we'd hit Black's first. I got a beef rib when I went there. It was very big and very tasty. It really is a BBQ town. As you drive in, you'll see fields with stacks and stack of oak ready to be burned. Will hit Kreuz the next time we pass through.

Back