Last WSM cook! Baby back ribs.

The problem is not the WSM - it's a fine well proven cooker. The problem is not Kingsford briquettes - they're a fine well proven fuel.

Harry Soo has won many national championships using his WSM and Kingsford Blue Bag.

Must be some other reason.

Using a chimney is the way to go. Weber makes a smaller model chimney which is what I use when lighting up my WSM. When using my WSM I really only need to light up a couple dozen briquettes and the smaller model chimney is easier to use in that situation. Generally, I use the "donut method" to build the fire. Rarely does it take more than 20-30 minutes from lighting the chimney (I'll use crumpled newspaper or just hit it with a torch from underneath) to putting on meat.

Your probably right. I have a chimney but the bottom fell out of it. It was a cheap knock off chimney. There had to be something wrong some where. It could of been the wind? It was pretty windy today. Could be the way I started with no lit coals and trying to get only the center to burn with a torch.

That said. I feel like a total idiot because holy smokes the WSM made some damn fine ribs for me this evening! I almost ate an entire rack myself! I think this is the first rack of ribs I've cooked that I've been completely satisfied with.

Of course I've never cooked non-enhanced baby backs before. I've always cooked the smithfields because that's all that is available. Got a line on non-enhanced spares and baby backs now! I will be going to baby backs exclusively. I just don't like dealing with the cartilage and the rib tip parts of the spares

Start up process is a pain, If I don't give it away to someone that could use it I will invest in a chimney and see if that changes the start up problems

I had the WSM 22 for 2 years and loved it as a smoker. I used a chimney a couple times and then switched to the weed burner. Never, NEVER had to wait more than an hour for TBS. Are you sure the KBB or wood chunks weren't wet? I even reused the leftover KBB, mixed with new to the top of the ring, and never had an issue. My WSM loved to run smoothly at around 275* with the top vent wide open, two lower vents closed, and the third cracked smaller than a #2 pencil. I lit the coals with the weed burner in front of the vent I planned on leaving open and the coals would burn their way across.

As for wood chunks, I was using several flavors I had bought in bags from big box stores. Depending on what I was making, I'd use three or four chunks for shorter cooks and five or six for longer cooks. I just set them on top of the coals and as the burning KBB got there, they'd burn too.

Everyone has their preference in smokers, fuel sources, meats, rubs, sauces, etc. Just because you don't like KBB doesn't mean you have to bash it every time someone mentions it. Let it go. Less stress means happier life.

Finally, those ribs look great to me, well, for being sauced...

The good news is you won't have a problem selling the smoker if you decide it's not for you. I would encourage you however to try some of the suggestions in this thread. Also make sure your smoker is clean, dry, and you're burning fuel that hasn't been exposed to a lot of moisture.

What's the story with your water pan? Are you using one?

I think I get better ribs off my UDS but my WSM produces the best pulled pork. There are forums dedicated to the cooker for a reason but go with what you enjoy.

I had the WSM 22 for 2 years and loved it as a smoker. I used a chimney a couple times and then switched to the weed burner. Never, NEVER had to wait more than an hour for TBS. Are you sure the KBB or wood chunks weren't wet? I even reused the leftover KBB, mixed with new to the top of the ring, and never had an issue. My WSM loved to run smoothly at around 275* with the top vent wide open, two lower vents closed, and the third cracked smaller than a #2 pencil. I lit the coals with the weed burner in front of the vent I planned on leaving open and the coals would burn their way across.

As for wood chunks, I was using several flavors I had bought in bags from big box stores. Depending on what I was making, I'd use three or four chunks for shorter cooks and five or six for longer cooks. I just set them on top of the coals and as the burning KBB got there, they'd burn too.

Everyone has their preference in smokers, fuel sources, meats, rubs, sauces, etc. Just because you don't like KBB doesn't mean you have to bash it every time someone mentions it. Let it go. Less stress means happier life.

Finally, those ribs look great to me, well, for being sauced...

Hehe, I lightly sauce my ribs just for a Glaze. I don't leave them in the cooker more than 15 minutes after that coat of sauce. I like most of my BBQ dry but Ribs I prefer a slight taste of sauce.

I don't know what I was expecting today, but it seems I'm just not use to running the WSM. It's like starting all over as your first cook. Once the food went on it was great! I probably could of put the food on slightly early. I had a lot to do and trying to rush things around a bit so I was over thinking everything.

I don't have a weed burner I just have a small propane torch. I was hoping I would get the same effect but in smaller scale with the way I lit the coals.

As to other questions I run the water pan empty and I cover the top of it with foil. Doesn't matter, I guess it was my time to complain about something stupid! Guess we all go through that at one point or another and I apologize. The WSM taught me a lesson by showing me it can cook some good food.

I will have to buy a new chimney, I considered buying a weed burner to help with all my cookers. My little propane torch has melted a few times LOL.

only gripe i got with the chimney is the insane amount of smoke it puts out for the 1st few minutes, ill use it at home and mosquito proof one or two of the neighbors yards depending on which way the wind is blowing, but when i camp out in a crowded area like a race track campground ill take the burner.

Back