THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spencerklly

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Spencer
I am in the market for a trailer mounted pit & live down the road from Nahunta (Lang Smokers)... I know there's a cult following for their pits. The exteriors look great, but the cuts on the inside appear to be uneven at times & I have also read the welds can be hit or miss. My goal here is to find the best bang for my buck, however, I don't want to sacrifice quality.

My budget at the moment is under 10k... Primitive Pits & Boathouse Smokers are the others who have caught my attention recently. I'm not sure I will delve into going out further than the southeast area unless its the right machine. I would like something with over 3000 sq. inches of cooking space as this will be a reunion, church cooker at times. Thanks for an input!

I'd love to have a nice back yard sized Lang smoker. If the price was right, I would not sweat the uneven inside cuts. I'm seldom inside one of my cookers long enough to notice such. I can't comment on pretty welds- I like pretty welds. I'm just not willing to kick in more Benjamins for pretty welds. Solid welds are totally ok with me

Lang’s are good quality smokers and they have a good reputation. Being that you are a stone throw away, that should rack a few bonus points.

That said, the Shirley pit that Cat 797 linked is one hell of a pit. Shirleys make as good a reverse flow as any, and have always been considered best bang for the buck. That’s why they have a couple year wait list to get one.

I recently picked up a workhorse pit and wouldn’t hesitate to go for a primitive pit if I wanted a much larger direct flow cooker. That said, that Shirley for sale above seems like it would be an excellent choice for reunions and church cookouts etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Primitive makes sense because of the location. I’m from Louisiana and if I were you from what I’ve seen in the pictures I’d skip right past Boathouse on my way to Texas. I’d go to Texas and give Ryan at Backline a call, Jimbo from Austin Smokeworks, or Dennis from El cucaracho. Shirley if you want to wait 3 years, it’s not worth it to me.

Primitive makes sense because of the location. I’m from Louisiana and if I were you from what I’ve seen in the pictures I’d skip right past Boathouse on my way to Texas. I’d go to Texas and give Ryan at Backline a call, Jimbo from Austin Smokeworks, or Dennis from El cucaracho. Shirley if you want to wait 3 years, it’s not worth it to me.
I'll check those out... Texas is a haul but could be worth it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'd love to have a nice back yard sized Lang smoker. If the price was right, I would not sweat the uneven inside cuts. I'm seldom inside one of my cookers long enough to notice such. I can't comment on pretty welds- I like pretty welds. I'm just not willing to kick in more Benjamins for pretty welds. Solid welds are totally ok with me
I get that for sure... I'll have to get my hands on one to decide on myself. I just know where poor welds can end up.

I get that for sure... I'll have to get my hands on one to decide on myself. I just know where poor welds can end up.

I don’t think Lang have welds that will fail. Too many 20-30 year old Lang’s around for that too have been a problem. And if you were unlucky enough to get one with an issue, I would imagine Ben would fix it up for you.

The Primitive Pits will have solid welds. Not Shirley quality, but few do.

I don’t think Lang have welds that will fail. Too many 20-30 year old Lang’s around for that too have been a problem. And if you were unlucky enough to get one with an issue, I would imagine Ben would fix it up for you.

The Primitive Pits will have solid welds. Not Shirley quality, but few do.
I sent Tyler at Shirley an email last night. We'll see what they quote me. I'm in no hurry and may pick up a patio model from Lang to hold me over. You are correct, it would be weird there are so many old lands hanging around still.

Take a drive up that road to Nahunta and visit Ben at his factory. You can check out the smokers and tour his factory. I did this several years ago when I got my little 36 patio model.

Back